Learning to Beat Match with your ears on cdj's -

For those of you just starting out and have chosen the path of cdj's. youll notice that they have an auto bpm count.

Although this can make things easy, it teaches you to beat match with your eyes more then your ears, which is a bad habit, because this things are NOT 100% reliable, e.g you might put a house track in and it will say '170 bpm' and your thinking 'wtf' , what do i do now' and if this happens to you in a club and your relying on that counter, your gonna fuck up :). and if you ever plan on using vinyl, youll pretty much have to start over again.

ive suggested this in previous threads. but as soon as you get your cdj's, put some tape over that little bpm counter so you dont have the urge to look at it and start learning with your ears. it will take longer but in the long run you'll be alot better off.

what some people do is find the bpm of a track, and when you burn your cd right the bpm at the end of the track name, people do this with vinyl as well putting the bpm on the vinyl case/package thing. so you have a generall idea of the speed.

Its not something that you need to do, its just a little bit of advice from someone talking from personall experience, a few times in my first few gigs me and my mate would be mixing and the bpm counter woul be jumping around constantly we try correct it and it would constantly go out of beat and wed get to the outro of a track thinking 'fuck were running out of time' and wed do a bad mix just to keep the music playing before the end of the track arrived.

its a gd idea to learn beatmatching the old school way, all with the ears.

But yeah, putting the tempo in the ID3 tag is handy when your playing for hrs and just want to bang out a gd set without having to worry too much about matching the beats... yo

Last night i had a big gig for a 21st they said they wanted a bit of everything so i was like yeah i got it covered, then i get there and all they want is urban rnb and hiphop which is way outa my comfort zone

long story short all my urban tracks on serato had no bpm values so i had to do it all by ear

in short the night ended out really well and i carnt say enuff how important it is to practise without your bpm counter! it might save your ass

and something you figure out when you play live. If your doing long... 16-32-48 etc bar transitions (like what I'm into to) if your finding yourself losing the transition.... just relax! Ease the platter back, if its wrong, ease it forward. Not many ppl care if you have a little slip up. Some ppl just lose their shit when the kicks start to flan and just go straigh for the backspin transition lol

Agreed!

Most punters dont even know when something is slightly out of beat. As a Dj you train yourself to pick up even the slightest difference. Go back one day and have a listen to some of your favourite Djs before you became a Dj. You'll be suprised how many 'trainwrecks' you'll hear but didnt care about.

Oh shit!...othr half has just told me that the windscreen on my car has been smashed by some dick head with a spade....

Agreed!

Most punters dont even know when something is slightly out of beat. As a Dj you train yourself to pick up even the slightest difference. Go back one day and have a listen to some of your favourite Djs before you became a Dj. You'll be suprised how many 'trainwrecks' you'll hear but didnt care about.

Oh shit!...othr half has just told me that the windscreen on my car has been smashed by some dick head with a spade....

Hope you seize the spade and smash him with it.

wtf?

Sorry...went a bit off topic.

Looks like some bored folks created a path of destruction along our street overnight (probably on their way to the train station). One of them must have picked up the neighbours garden spade and used it smash my cars windscreen. Luckily its going to be replaced free of charge under my insurance. I had to park in on the verge cause the other half doesnt know how to work a manual gear shift and needs to get her car out of the driveway. last time it was someone driving a wheelie bin into the back of my car. Moral to story: Keep it off the verge kids!