Next purchase - Monitors

BeatLeSS

Okay guys,

Time for me to start gearing up for the next purchase to compliment my 'rig'.

I'm looking for monitors, moreso value for money, not cheap, but don't wanna go over the top either. I'll post up some pics of my room soon so it might help someone who knows what they're talking about steer me in the right direction.

Basically what i'm wanting to know;

What do people here use and would they recommend them to others?

Are they just the same as any normal speakers, or do i need an amplifier to go with them?

Cheers for the help in advance guys :)

Next next purchase will be PA speakers so i can finally have all my own gear for parties! :D

^nope

If you want monitors, buy monitors. But I'm not really convinced on using monitors for DJing, it's not really neccesary.

Are you gunna use them for production?

I would get some Behringer truths, so you can use them for DJing and if you kill them, it's not the end of the world. I saw Sean Tyas using them as monitors, so thats something, listen to his tracks, they obviously don't inhibit him.

PA speakers aren't good for use in a small room.

you can get active monitors which have their own amp built in, or a passive monitor which needs an external amp. Some options (eg behringher truth) have both options so be clear on what you are buying. ppl in the past have got a bargain only to find out it was the passive model and they then needed to fork out for an amp.

Why do you feel you need monitors? Most decent home stereos will do just fine for dj'ing, monitors mostly are to give accurate (if not necessarily) good sound for production.

$2-300 you should be able to find some truth's second hand. Also consider how loud you need it - most monitors you setup pretty close so you don't need a massive speaker just to mix with. 8" monitors can be overkill in a lot of places.

I have the older model truths (B2031, not the newer A model), paid $200 off ebay and works fine. I moved my setup out of my lounge room, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and just kept using my stereo which sounded better anyway

I dont see why people fork out so much cash for monitors just for DJing, monitors are designed to give an accurate representation of sound without any colouring, which is no real benefit for a DJs needs. Computer speakers or some hi-fi speakers are the go imo, cheap and perfect for the job ;)

I'm currently using Logitech Z-5500's - possibly the best computer speakers i've ever seen, next to my 6.2 muteki's

I personally don't find too much of a problem with them, just they are scattered around the table and too many wires. So i figured going to a 2 speaker system (monitors) would neaten things up and make it look a bit better too.

Looks like i might put off the monitors for a while and get a new laptop first.

• 5 weeks later...

Behringer Truth 2031A's are excellent value for money and are ideal for bedroom mixing. You can pick up a pair for $450 at most DJ or pro audio stores. They're active so no external amp is required. You can always use them as "booth" monitors in conjunction with your primary PA when you get that setup.