audio through on traktor

eggssell

not sure how many peeps have traktor scratch out there (buck i know you do), but jut wondering if when you use "audio through" option (i.e. use an actual vinyl or an actual cd which routes thru the sound card back to the mixer) the sound is softer than using the time code vinyl?

i noticed it when i was kicking around my beatles collection on the weekend that i had to crank the master on my mixer right up.

And then last night we were hopping between my mates vinyl and the time code, and the same thing the actual vinyl (which were all early to mid 00's tracks) sounded heaps softer. anyone else find this?

is it because older vinyl as recorded at a lower volume? or is it something the sound card is doing? i know i can bypass taktor by switching the turntables to line and then flicking the mixer input to line, but thats a pain in the ass.

and on a side note (to hijack my own thread) for any doubters of a dvs system. my mate who has been spinning vinyl for years and never used dvs (except the last time he was over, but only for like 10 mins because we went straight to vinyl after that), all i had to show him was that you right click to load your track and he was away doing his thing. and could not feel any difference what so ever.

and conversely when we jumped to using vinyl i was just as good (just as shit). which is like i said, the dvs is nothing more than a carriage for the media, the actual motions are exactly the same.

Funny you should mention that the beatles on vinyl sounds quieter.

The beatle's producer George Martin pioneered the method of maximum volume on vinyl by having the tracks closer (being max volume) together than anyone anyone else was prepared to do.

In comparison to the RCA American songs on the radio at the time ie. Pat Boone, Elvis,Doris Day etc The beatles songs always came out louder on radio and on record players.

It blew the dust off the old family Kriesler-rama.

It was a recording mini revolution the way Beatles songs were recorded together with the new stereo format.

Bit of recording history trivia for you all.

Have you tried plugging your turntable straight to

the mixer? I used certified mixer not audio 8 so switch the mixer input when playing real vinyl

on other DVD software I was splitting the cable, one to soundcard and back inthr line input, the other went directto the phono input

yeah if i flick the switches i mentioned above it bypasses the audio 8. cant remember but im sure it sounds heaps louder.

but that kind of defeats the purpose of the audio through in traktor though.

cuz sometimes he'd leave me with a track playing on vinyl and i knew an awesome track i had in my files so switched the other deck back to time-code control, so had to mess around with gains to ensure i didnt jump in too loud. which i know you should level your gains anywho, but we had to go all the way to 10 on someof the vinyls.

oh should of used google as well. found this on NI

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... hp?t=97680

with the primary bit being that i can select vinyl on the soundcard to ensure it is preamped

Lethal Pizzle said:

Yes, the audio8 input and the deck input in Traktor are seperate things.

Select vinyl input on the audio8 if you are using vinyl, whether normal or timecode. Traktor reads the timecode better when it is put through the preamp anyway

its a setting in traktor not the soundcard. it will automatically gain adjust your tracks so they are all on the same level.

i would prefer not to use it, but yeah i didnt really touch anything in traktor so i hopefully dont have it on (and now that i think about it im always having to adjust gains when im checking the next track so i prob dont have it on).

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to just get back to this. yeah its not auto gain i dont have that turned on. but i actually cant change the input once the computer is turned on, says "software lock" on the audio 8.

anyone know how to unlock this so i can select phono???

gonna try NI forum but everyone knows hit me up.

cheers