turntables + cartridges

ruggs

the club i play at has technics 1200's and i was thinking of buy some cartridges and having a go on them with serato i've used my mates 1200's a fair bit so i no what to do...this is going to be a two part question...

1. what are some decent cartridges without breaking the budget as i won't use them every week?

2. whats a decent turntable (thats not a technics 1200 :teef: ) that i can just muck around at home but still has decent torque.

i've seen the ortofon cartridges but they are pretty expensive was thinking maybe the shure ones.is there gonna be much of a difference?

The reason I like the Concorde's are that they are very slimline and you can see exactly where on the record you are up to. the chunky block style carts can be a pain in that regard.

Dont know if im crazy, but ive always found the chunky style carts to produce a bassier sound, probably because there is more weight on the needle.