Vinyl Turntables info/questions

Jaz

Trying to get a bit more knowledge on Vinyl tables...i know they are the best you can get, But why? what makes them the best? what are the different things in vinyl tables that make them better or worse?

i meen with CD its mainly Build Qaulity and Technology/Features that makes things them better or worse...but Vinyl doesnt have the same technology like effects, cue points, loop in/out, etc etc (without traktor or serato)

Educate me! :)

cheers

no one said they are the best just that they are the industry standard. and thats because they invented the magnetic brushless direct drive platter.

all the other super OEM turnies actually have better torque, more accurate pitch control, more stable pitch control (thats versus the mk2 anyway).

so the true advantage of having the industry standard is there is no need to make an adjustment when ya get a gig. however having used both the st150 and the 1200, the adjustment for the stronger torque only takes about 3 songs to get used to.

in regards to what features you can get. there are those that have a wide pitch range but really you dont need it as thi gs start to sound stupid. also some have that thing where the pitch of the song stays constant even when you increase speed. but i have heard it sounds stupid. plus you have to select line out rather than phono.

my personal opinion i yer gonna be buying. buy direct drive. and dont go any less torque then the techs. that should be the minimum.

a turntable is a pretty simple device, it just has to spin at the right speed, have enough torque to work with and that's about it. technics had a patent on the motor design so for 25 years no-one else could make anything really clse. that patent expired about 10 years ago so you've seen plenty of very competant options come on to the market. don't rule out vestax, AA, stanton etc.

techs had their reputation for being bullet proof. there's heaps of 20+ year old examples still running fine. Mine are about 8 years since I got them, no idea how old they are as I got them from cash converters, but they looked old even then. I got them serviced once in that time, only because one dropped offa table whilst plugged in and pulled one rca cable out. if not for that they'd probably not need it. keep in mind decks in a club go through 8-10 hours a few times a week of really shitty treatment, so they will need more care.

ok 2 more questions, i know what needles are as its pretty obvious, but WTF are carts?

and anyone know if the Stanton T60's are any good? if i could get 1 for $80+$30 postage (aparently in good nick) should i just get it now cause its cheap n keep it under my bed till i get that set up i mention in the other thread...

cheers peeps

im sure theres the anatomy of that somewhere here soory kn phone so may take a bit to search and then paste.

but you know the bit that sticks to the arm. thats the headshell. the cartridge attaches to that. the cartridge also houses the needle or stylus.

you can also get ones that are headshell and cartridge in one like the concordes.

oh and the t60's have shyte all torque which means jumping onto another deck will require a large amount of adjustment.

you can definitely learn to beat match on them but when you move to say a super OEM you will need to start exerting a bit more force to stop the vinyl and less force when dropping the track.

i think people also say the motors in them are pretty unreliable in terms of keeping constant pitch.

so whats the difference in the 100's of cart brands? just like tougher materials n shit?

ok cheers,didnt expect much for that price, id rather get something that i wont need to upgrade

+rep for all ur info in this thread, its been heaps good

yeah a lot scratchers like the straight arm.

chev was saying the straights on the ST150's have more noise?

but just like the torque arguement (i.e. more torque the better), we have to remember that in DMC comps they were using techs with less torque and with non-straight arms. so while it may be preferred its mos def not required.