First ever vinyl mix.... Be gentle.

ChevChelios

Finally go around to recording a mix, should be somethin in there for everyone.

Bit of Dubstep, bit of Garage, bit of House, and RnB samples all over the place.

Theres a few obvious mistakes, but they are quickly recovered I hope, and theres one really horrible mix thats pretty abrupt, but I only added the tune last minute so yeah.

Tracklist:

1. James Blake - Limit to your Love

2. Svpreme Fiend - Killer

3. Ramadanman - Every Next Day

4. Skream - Sublemonal

5. Kode 9 - Stung

6. Loefah - It's Yours

7. Gatekeeper - Hades

8. Distance - Night Vision (Skream's So Nasty Version)

9. DJ Madd - Need This

10. Kryptic Minds - Six Degrees

11. Emalkay - When I Look at You

12. Untold - Fly Girls

13. James Blake - The Bells Sketch

14. Mount Kimbie - Carbonated

15. James Blake - Buzzard & Kestrel

16. Girl Unit - IRL

17. Gucci Vump - Sha Shti (L-VIS 1990 Remix)

18. Rusko - Cockney Thug (Buraka Som Sistema

19. C.R.S.T. - Dial the Operator

20. Didz & Chico - Something New

21. Chesus & Diverse Concepts - Baduka

22. XXXY - You Always Start It

Dont ask for mix times cause I wont give them, thats not the point of the music I'm into.

Feedback and all would be highly appreciated, need to know whats shit n that.

Cheers whales.

hey man went to dl from soundcloud so can listen on phone for review when i realised i had popped my cap (thing just kept hanging). doh! doesnt reset till next thurs. but all good will stream from my phone using its 3G and write up for ya. been playing it this morning!

just checking this is straight up vinyl huh no dvs? cuz i can hear that warm warm dust sound.

Damn this was a pain in the ass to finish up, either it was voda fail, sound cloud or iphone but either way they all suck balls such that it may have affected my listening experience in the last 14 mins but at least that part was vibing so I still enjoyed it.

Soundcloud has some new mobile site and I thought cool, but it would not play past 31 mins! So went to normal soundcloud, but it just kept crashing when I tried to fastworward! So downloaded app which let me fast forward to where I was up to but stopped every minute or so! Fuuuuuuuu…

Anyways my review.................

Overall comment, I really enjoyed this. While not all tracks were to my liking I think your song selection and arrangement were awesome. This felt like a journey (as per some comments below). Love the more 2-steppy type moments, and love all the random tweaks, voice samples and lasers, which I know are probably from the tracks (I think or are you dropping samples?) but your use of them over silences or percussion bits are really good. Transitions in general were seamless, yes in my review I speak specifically about points only cuz I was listening specifically for that, which you don’t when listening to music so yeah man great job at that.

Anywho the below review was done chronologically while I was listening and I have assumed some things like transitions or samples etc…….

At 2.12 was the bells and new beats you or part of the track? Either way fitted perfectly. 6.00 nice use of silence, is that you dropping the flavour flav sample?

9.41, this transition from outgoing track elements into the new track elements is perfect and works well. Did you spend a lot of time organising tracks?

11ish, is that you backspinning? I know a lot of peeps look down at backspin when overused or used as a bailout but its actually hard to do well and even harder to use at the right time. If you hit that backspin then that was on point! (oh just heard a few more so maybe it was the producer which a lot of dub/ ragga producers do)

19.36ish, was that a cut? If so it was very good. 21 nice continuation in the journey. 26.00 even get glitchy, nice.

30.00 back to chilled but an upbeat chill. What track is this????

31.00 (okay first negative part) not the best transition, both loud and slightly off. I think I even hear a warp in the pitch did you touch the platter at the time? But as above recovers quite quickly, and would normally be inaudible. 35.00 first doon doon doon was off or out of place.

Nice vibe going at this point in the mix, more than just head bopping desk drumming too! 39.00 nice vocal sample drop, you? 45.00 im dancing now ha ha ha.

48.00+ nice transition and long one too. You nailed that one.

51.30ish not really feeling the appregio part of outro and why does volume of the appregio drop all of a sudden? But admittedly at that volume its much better, maybe should of faded it out earlier.

All other times where there is no comments means it was rocking!! Some Q’s above, nice if you let us know mate. Anyways you killing it mate.

Mass plus rep eggs, many thanks.

All the nice bits you talked about like vocal samples, backspins n such where all just part of the tunes cause I didn't use any dvs and I only have two decks, most of the things you pointed out where during a mix, I mainly spent time on the selection and phrasing of each tune.

The tune at 30 mins is Mount Kimbie - Carbonated (saw them last night at OAF, brainsplode for realious) going into James Blake - Buzzard and Kestrel.

The mix at 48 your talkin about is my favourite, absolutely love how the vocals comp with each other between the two tunes, the only reason I up'd this recording is cause I got that mix right, cause its shit bringing it in at 45:30 where theres no beat haha.

Cheers again for the review man, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...