super power your laptop -SSD

lloydc

why not just buy a lappy with SSD in it? duuuuuh.

it's just an alternative... and a 256gb SSD from apple is $820 at the time of purchase. thats is A) really expensive and B ) not that much storage

512GB is a massive $1670

holy crap.... you can get a 1tb external HD for $100 =\

why not just buy a lappy with SSD in it? duuuuuh.

it's just an alternative... and a 256gb SSD from apple is $820 at the time of purchase. thats is A) really expensive and B ) not that much storage

512GB is a massive $1670

holy crap.... you can get a 1tb external HD for $100 =\

they are apple prices when you configure your macbook, but yeah... crazy huh?

awesome but thats a solid state hard drive which is more expensive

yea, but for the price difference, and how small externals are these days.... sif it's worth the extra. I'd rather just leave an external plugged in... even if you have to move around, it's not a big deal.

yea, but for the price difference, and how small externals are these days.... sif it's worth the extra. I'd rather just leave an external plugged in... even if you have to move around, it's not a big deal.

did you happen to watch the youtube video and see the advantage in speed?

did you read the article.... there are other benefits to Solid State Drives, but obviously yes they are not value for money because its new tech.

just remember how much externals use to be.

obviously i read the article.... -_-

What are the Pro’s of SSD?

•Energy Efficient. Solid State Drives use less power than traditional Hard Disks. This is a great thing for laptop users as it can slightly increase your battery life.

- who cares? what will it give you? an extra few minutes? if you areusing it for djing, as the article suggests, more than likely it will be plugged in.

•Durability. Solid State Drives are made to operate in extreme environments. They can withstand degrees up to 70 Celsius and are more impervious to shock and vibration because of their lack of moving parts. With no moving parts, you can rest assured that your music won’t cut out at the club when the bass is shaking your laptop apart!

- i haven't heard of anyone having these problems due to "extreme" conditions... i'm sure it can happen on rare occasions, but we aren't Bear Grylls trying to dj in a volcano while drinking our own piss...

•Speed. The latest Solid State Drives for laptops can push up to 550MB/s read speeds and 500MB/s write speeds. Regular 7200 RPM Rotary Hard Drives push about 60MB/s read and write. As you can see, Solid State Drives offer almost 10x the performance!

- um, ok, is kinda cool, but tbh i never really have an issue with the speed of writing on external usb hard drives.... besides, how much will you be doing while djing? transferring of large amounts of data will be done at home etc.

like i said... kinda cool, but really... the "benefits" are not worth the extra $1500 for half the storage space

i can't see the video at work, so i'm going off the article

i can't see the video at work, so i'm going off the article

fuck the article, it's fairly boring and doesn't tell the full story. watch the video and see the boot time, and the load times when they open 44 programs at once.

Im thinking about doing this upgrade with just a small SSD just to run windows and programs on and a larger drive for storage.

Also to all those who want to use CD's, you can buy USB CD drives. Which I would rather use than a usb HDD since I rarely use CD's.

Im thinking about doing this upgrade with just a small SSD just to run windows and programs on and a larger drive for storage.

Also to all those who want to use CD's, you can buy USB CD drives. Which I would rather use than a usb HDD since I rarely use CD's.

agree with the external cd drive.

does anyone know where I can buy one of those bracket things (in sydney) to get rid of my cd drive?