Sweetish - Imogene

SweetIshDub

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

as eggsell said, great work on the keys, dont know how i missed this one wen u posted it. i also played the piano since i was about 7 or so, and often find myself pumping out straight piano tunes when dub just feels like too much effort. Wat piano synths/samplers do you use?

My personal fav's would have to be

Syrtus's Grand Piano - it gives the richest, fullest low end you've ever heard, but can sound very "synthesized" if u venture too low or high.

MDA Piano - A super simple synth, pretty realistic, an alright range of options in terms of timbre.

Been eyeing off NI's Akoustik pack for a while tho, you really cant go past samplers for the top notch sound, i had a mess with it on my mates computer, and you'd swear there'd a dam concert pianist in the room, it sounds that good.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... tik-piano/

Anyways, just my thoughts

Yeah man Ive been just using the direct wave piano in FL studio, and i totally agree, cant beat samplers. My favorite string simulating synthesizer is probably Sakura but it doesn't really get to piano sounds very well. The NI plugin you linked looks epic too, Ive personally been eyeing Alicia's Keys just because its a little cheaper and I really like the tone of her grand they sampled.

yeah forgot to mention direct wave, its rather good also but i havent really got the hang of the interface yet, all seems a bit cluttered. I'll have to check out Alicia's Keys, cause yeah, as with everything from NI the price tag is a bit of a slap to the face.

Anyways, all this piano talk got me in the mood to write another piece, mite post it up here when its done

Have you ever found problems with the piano reverb at high volume?

I made a track like two months ago with a blues piano solo intro in it and I did the low cut on it and everything but when I dropped it at a party the reverb was just out of control compared to on my monitors and it sounded terrible.

yeah i do get that alot, u can hear it a bit in my track above, mainly due to having the strings under the piano as well i think. But it seems to be more prominent in piano synths than samplers. The best way i've found to get around it is to just hav a pre and post reverb EQ for each piano track. So use the first one to shape ur piano sound how u want, dull the low/high end watever, make sure u turn off any built in reverb in the synth/sampler, and use ur preferred VST to apply effect, then hav a squiz at ur post-reverb EQ and i often see a few really prominent resonance bands, use a few tight EQ notches to dull these bands and u should get a better overall sound

• 3 weeks later...