eBay Speakers - any good?

Dibbo

You get what you pay for.

Without having heard said speakers before but knowing the standard, my answer would be: they are not going to blow your mind (or your wallet) - they will probably do for a standard house party where no one really gives a crap.

But I would not rely on them for large functions or weddings.

Read somewhere that moulded curved speaker cabinets disperse sound waves better than square cabinets and can be smaller in size for he same output.

Hate big speakers have owned lots of them.

Shame no one has invented speaker electromagnets to reduce their weight.

Read somewhere that moulded curved speaker cabinets disperse sound waves better than square cabinets and can be smaller in size for he same output.

That sounds like something Mackie/LOUD has used when advertising the SRM450. I remember seeing it in the manual or promo sheets or something.

Not sure I agree though - line arrays are trapezoidal in design (not curved), yet are used for shows that require decent coverage and SPL.

Can't argue with you Andy years ago when I used to design and build speakers had to work out wave lengths and half wave and quarter wave for internal dimensions of speaker enclosures in relation to the speaker fundemental resonance etc. but the old brain is beyond that now from too much sex and drugs and rock and roll.

Use to build amps for musos and was a valve jockey for bands I managed. but that was a hundred years ago.

• 4 months later...

I found out yesterday that stores like storedj and djwarehouse offer payment plans with just 25% deposit. Now that I know this I would not consider any no name ebay stuff when you could at least get a brand name set like Behringer. I know they arent the best things out there but you know they will be consistant. With some ebay stuff you dont what your gonna get or if the company/store will be there in 12mths when you need a part or warranty claim.

I am guessing you have about $300 - $500 to spend on speakers. Given that they want 25% deposit your $300 would get you $1200 worth of gear, and $500 would get you $2000 worth of gear. I am assuming they would have 12mths to pay it back but check with them as it may be more or less. But at 12mths your looking at somewhere between $17 and $29.

Personally I wont be buying gear any other way. I am much better putting the extra cash into my mortgage and saving interest (if you have a car loan you could do the same) and pay the small weekly payments.