why would a Mac need "force quit"

imadje

Last night at end of the gig my mac wouldnt close itch. I turned off my NS6 controller and it still wouldnt quit. I packed down the lights and P.A. and it still hadnt quit.

I reckon I gave it long enough so used the power button to "force quit"

The mac has booted fine this morn and i'll test later with the controller and Itch...

Is their anyway I can find out if it was software, controller or mac itself that had the fault?

I know on PCs this is a common enough thing and pretty safe but am wondering if I should be any more worried that I had to do this to my new mac?

posted this in computer corner and digital dj thread to get most knowledge.

^ command q? no mate, i use the file menu or the little red button on the window to close programs...

In this case i close itch by pressing the red button on the window then it comes up with a "do you really want to close itch yes/no" option... I clicked yes but it just sat there and did nothing for like 15 minutes while i packed away p.a. and lights...

thats why i did force quit using power button.

would command q = better?

cheers pulse.

never noticed that blue light b4.

new computer, new platform and i didnt read the manual... wot an amatuer.

dont worry mate i would of done the same thing if i didnt have a mac wiz show me the ropes, have you been having fun with the omni directional track pad? you know about using different number of fingers does diff things?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a rare occurrence on a Mac.

If the little beachball is spinning and wont stop, then use Option + Command + Escape to force quit any or all running applications.

There is no need for concern, just maybe look and sticking in some more RAM which is worth it's weight in gold if you use your mac in any professional capacity :)

sorry guys never updated this thread:

The problem kept happening so i sent out some q's and got some info from the serato boys regarding itch... it was all about itch backing up it's crates and the file structure. They asked me to go into finder and rename my serato folder as serato_old and my serato backup folder as serato_backup_old.

all works tickety boo now.

So it was an itch specific issue not a mac issue. They are still ironing out bugs on the itch/NS6 release but they are good and clear with their help.