Hot Cues on Pioneer CDJ900

imadje

Had my first go on cdj 900s this weekend. used USB sticks.

I could only find auto loops though... does this unit have hot cue capability? was I being really dumb? (had been drinking)

and yes I searched the forum for key words "CDJ900" and "hot cues" but no clear answer came up I could see so sorry if this is a dumb q.

I don't think so, I think that's exclusive to the 2000's and 1000's (don't quote me on that one)

do 900's support midi? if so you could hook it up to traktor and map the hot loop button to cue points so when you push a button without a cue point assigned to it, it creates one at that moment. Then just make it so when you hold the beat select and push a loop button, it deletes the cue assigned to it.

That seems like quite a good idea actually, not 100% sure it will work though.

Five cue points seems pretty good though

foolish, cdj 900s don't have EDIT: 'hot' cue, only auto beat loops. Hot cues are exclusive to cdj 1000 and 2000 as soldios said.

To utilise any sort of hot cueing on that setup, you will need to use traktor or serato.

Customising your own midi mapping may be possible the way soldios described it (haven't tried or seen it used like this yet though), or you could use them as dvs and an external controller to control tracks and hot cues.

So short answer, no. With software, yes

no, the cdj1000 and cdj2000 are the only 1's with hot cue's, pioneer did this on purpose, giving the 900 hot cue's would take away alot of the want/need to buy 2000's....

900's just have the auto loops like 800's and 850's

and mitch the CDJ 900's do have auto cue...i dunno if u meant to say that or hot cue?

Upgrading from the 800's already Sol? :P

Why make a custom midi when you can just buy a Kontrol X1 and viola you have hot cues.

This + more.

My personal preference is leave mappings to do functions as they were designed, then use an external controller if you wanna get all fancy. But that's just me.

great response guys, and i dont feel too dumb for asking now :)

I do want to avoid the laptop. If i were to take that I would take my NS6. Thing is I really really enjoyed the cdj platters again, and there are a pair of them there, seems a waste not to use them....

Which leads me on to the next dumb q:

I guess the midi support on the CDJ900 relies on a laptop too then? I'm wondering if there is anyway you can plug a controller (i.e. novation dicer/traktor x1) str8 into the cdj900 (without laptop at all) and get it to work?

And yes I expect a whole heap of replies saying "no jim, not without the software" but it's worth asking...

short answer is yes, laptop is required to do that. There isn't anything that plugs into the 900s to give you hot cues without a laptop, as they want you to get 2000s if you want that feature. its how they design and market products on purpose. To get the maximum $$ from consumers

Which leads me on to the next dumb q:

I guess the midi support on the CDJ900 relies on a laptop too then? I'm wondering if there is anyway you can plug a controller (i.e. novation dicer/traktor x1) str8 into the cdj900 (without laptop at all) and get it to work?

not a stupid question at all bro, i was wondering the same thing not long ago, basically an external hot cue pad that you could use on something like 900's...

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6206&hilit=external+hot+cue

thing is, pioneer would never allow this because then everyone would get 900's and a cheap hot cue pad instead of 2000's lol :(

its all product placement man

Its impossible to make with the current design of the pioneer CDJ, so that's not a great place to start with the whole situation :P

and the only time you will see it work is if pioneer design something themselves that does it, as it would need so much more software and extra connectivity in the player itself to make it work. But pioneer will never make it, coz who would buy the top range model then? lol. it's a big circle, and you (or the club in this instance) can't get around handing over the $$ at the end of the day if you want the features