In dire need of help :)

cupcake

Hello, and thanks in advance for reading :)

So I started DJing about two months ago and after asking around scored myself a gig at a local wine and cocktail bar. They liked me and I now have a resident spot for which I am grateful.

I mostly play a Nu Disco and use Ableton Live.

I am well aware that there are lots of ideas out there about exactly what constitutes DJing and know that there are a lot of people out there a lot more talented than me -but then that's always going to be the case.

Anywho, one of my performances caught the eye of a local agent, and after a brief conversation it turns out I am now one of the support acts for Vula (Basement Jaxx) in a few weeks time.

I am scared stupid. @.@

For the most part, I spend a lot of time marking my tracks and setting up loop points at the ends or in the middle, and simple que them up and crossfade. Very little of what I do is layering. In fact, except for playing intro's and outro's on top of oneanother all's I have yet to achieve is mixing "Technologic" (Daft Punk) with "Beam me Up" (Jaques Renault).

The agent told me if I play half as well as I did at the club then he'd be happy, but I can't help but feeling I'm cheating if all I'm doing is crossfading a playlist together.

Was that coherrent? Can offer me some help/advice?

Also, perhaps some other artists to look out for along the lines of the following?

Note that I am trying to keep the set at 120bpm.

Tensnake

Jaques Renault

Holy Ghost

Aeroplane

Mock Toof

Toby Tobias

DJ Agent 86

Joey Negro

Frankie Knuckles

...and some classics like "The Devil In Us" and "Padded Cell".

For the most part yes, I am going to draw on a pool of about 30 songs I have already marked and listened to 10 times each. I guess what I am after are some more tunes, and perhaps the advice of someone who was once in a similar situation to me :)

Oh, and I know I am cheating, but who in their right mind would pass the opportunity I have been given!

I'd roll with your method for now, and maybe change things up further down the track (ie: try CDJ's, or adding hardware to your Ableton set up)

As for tunes, I'd even try some deeper stuff like Maceo Plex, Maya Jane Coles, etc (have a look on Beatport). It generally works quite well and mixes things up a little bit.

Also, these few:

- Osunlade - Envision (Ame Remix)

- Sinc, Daniel Sanchez - New Day (Original Mix)

- Lovebirds - I Want You In My Soul (Original Mix)

- Lovebirds - In The Shadows (Original Mix)

As mentioned, stick to what you've been doing when playing live. That's what they will be expecting. They wouldn't have asked you otherwise.

Continue building your crowd reading / set building skills when you're playing out. Maybe get yourself some cdj's and work on the more technical skills at home.

they are booking you because of what they have seen. Give them what they want and dont even worry about what is cheating or not... it's a great break you're getting, make the most of it.

tunes wise: do you know masters at work? They are old skool house and do loads of remix work. I've done sets that varied massively over the course of the night but 75% was all M.A.W.

Also Nu-yorican soul for some classics.

And if you wanna go deeper/more disco-ey try "moodymanc" and "miguel campbell" for tip top re-edits.