the next step

intro

Hello,

I have been into playing, mixing and producing music for years at home, however I am ready to start selling some of my original recordings and remixes. I am a little unsure in regards to a number of topics and have searched the internet to receive a number of different answers. I've put a few of the key things I need a bit of help with below, so if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

I have remixed a variety of songs into the one 10 minute mix and would like to sell it on a site like a beatport or traxsource.

- How do I go about getting in touch with the right sort of record label?

- What sort of money would you make as a remixer if you sold a song for $2.20?

- Whats the profit split % difference if you had 10 artists on a track rather than just remixing 2?

- Do you set up your own business or register as a sole trader?

I would like to get a few gigs in Sydney chilled out afternoon/evening sessions this summer. simple track after track, fading in, out and beatmatching. The idea is to get some experience performing live etc so then when I have produced a full set of my own, I'll be comfortable to perform and ready to roll.

- How do I go about getting gigs?

- Do I put a mix onto a cd and go into the pub/club with my contact number?

- I have heard there are DJ managers/Promo people who you can use to get you jobs? How do I find them?

- I currently use a Traktor Kontrol S4, would I take it to the club with me or just a usb/cd?

- If I'll be using a deck I haven't played on before, is it okay for me to ask the club to come in and check it out/play around on it?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I know its a bit, but I've tried to keep it pretty straight forward so if someone knows the answers are pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance. *tunez*

Hey mate, Unfortunately there are no straight forward answers to any of your questions.

There is heaps of advice dug amongst the threads on this forum though. Do a few specific searches for individual keywords.

One thing I can try and answer though: doing a remix of 10 tracks into one and then selling it is illegal due to copyright infringement. No label would release it unless all the tracks used were on their label anyway. Most of the times you have heard that sort of mix it is actually a DJ using it as an advert and earning nothing from it, or it is a big name DJ who has been asked to do it by a label to add weight to the labels releases.

^this is only my attempt at an answer, as i say nothing is straightforward and you may just get lucky and get to jump str8 on the wagon.

on other topics:

- How do I go about getting gigs?

chk this forum, there's loads of tips.

- Do I put a mix onto a cd and go into the pub/club with my contact number?

amongst other things, probably

- I have heard there are DJ managers/Promo people who you can use to get you jobs? How do I find them?

google and adjf

- I currently use a Traktor Kontrol S4, would I take it to the club with me or just a usb/cd?

depends on the club

- If I'll be using a deck I haven't played on before, is it okay for me to ask the club to come in and check it out/play around on it?

depends on the club

I had a big spiel typed up, but imadje beat me too it :)

Couple of things i will add:

For the producing side of things, tomy is probably one of the best people for advice on those questions on here :)

However what you have made sounds more like a DJ mashup promo than a remix as such, which leads on to the copyright issues that were said in the post above this.

-Yes, giving a mixtape is one way. Also meeting the manager and having a chat to him directly and let them know you are interested in playing there, maybe in combo with giving mixtape

-If club doesn't let you sesh gear when they are closed for practice, maybe hire some gear or borrow some off somebody else for a weekend and sesh it too get yourself confident on the equip before trying to get a gig there (controller DJing does have a different feel to it compared to DJing with CDJs)

-As mentioned above, depends on club if you can take your S4 in.

Cheers that clears a bit up about the remix/mash. So is it okay for me to use it in a club as long I've bought all the tracks?

What would be a rough % take if I produce a track from scratch myself? I am not in it for the money I just have no idea on the realistic splits.

Thanks again I'll search the rest of the site at work tomorrow for some more info.

as for getting gigs, work your connections

i know of many people who DJ at clubs and are shit, and i know of even more DJs who are awesome but cant get their foot in the door

the difference between the two. the shit DJ knows people in the industry

you might have mates who promote for a club, start there maybe?

as for being unfamiliar with the gear in the club, worst case scenario you could hire out the gear a few nights before and familerize yourself with it? chances are its gonna be a cdj1000s and a djm 800 setup

To get gigs, talk to promoters, give them mixes, promise that you'll bring all your mates, and see what happens.

I don't mean to sound patronising, but these days getting 50 people through the door is more important than being able to mix like a baws.

And 9/10 places would prefer you use CDJ's rather than the S4.