Kinds of solder for headphones?

SolDios

Tomorrow I will be soldering on a new 3.5 line socket to my hd-25's

My dad is just picking up a socket from jaycar for me as DSE no longer sell them

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

Im going to get my mate to do it, as he has done soldering before, but were both wondering, is there any special kinds of solder for audio devices? would standard solder be fine?

Thanks!

Kris

Thanks guys!

So this is my plan, first cut the cable using special clipping cables, then strip the two cables back to revel all 4 of the inner cables.

Then strip them back, there should be two sets in here:

1st inner cable

Earth

(Left or right) channel

2nd inner cable

Earth

(Left or right) channel

The main challenge is going to be finding out which wire is which. As people have found a variety of different inner wire colours.

I plan to do this by hooking the socket into the mdex with the connections exposed, from here I will try electrical taping each cable on to the different spot's, trying every possible combination.

(Im going to see if they also have a 6.5 version which you don't need to solder (screw hold)), to identify each cable easier.

When I have identified the earth's and the audio wires, I will pan to the left to identify which channel is left and right.

What do you think?

should help.

the only tip i can offer: when you are stripping the wires be really REALLY careful. There are only a few strands of internal cable to each wire and they are thin. Any time you cut through them you have to start over stripping the sheathing.

And what lurker said is also true although on really fiddly jobs like this if you heat up the jack too much the plastic moulding round the edge of the new unit can melt. Sometimes it is better to melt a tiny bit of solder onto the cable then apply this to the joint then heat cable, solder and unit together.

I'm not gonna make this sound easy coz it isnt but it is a good skill to have.

Good luck.

Yeah Sol, make sure you watch your friend closely as he does it. It's a fiddly job with the hd25's steel cable, it's not malleable so its a pain in the buttocks. Also I recommend you use a knife to strip the cable, be very delicate. The steel cable is stronger than a normal one, but it is thinner so you don't want to waste any strands of wire by cutting too far.

It took me two goes when i did it - I lost my patience and fucked up the first jack (made a mess of it because of my lack of soldering skillz) so just make sure everything is planned out.

the reason I got them over the xd 53's is the replaceable cable, and the lack of hinges (which I always seem to kill)

Nek Minit, Cable dies

I might see if I can get somone to modify the cable to have a 3.5 female adapter near the tip, the if the cable dies I can just buy another cheapie and plug it in.