Main specs when looking for speakers?

Narukami

I don't know if these forums are made yet but I'd like to know some main specs when looking for some speakers. Active, passive or powered like, there are so many to choose from. I know they should be powered but what's the difference Active or Powered? also a friend told me they should be 15" to probide ebough sound but I read a thread where two 12"s and a sub would sound better. what are some great links and websites? shanks :)

The club i work at has provided PA, mix desk etc. If it was for live i would not worry about it. Its covered.

You should be looking into some good studio monitors for home so when you are are a gig it sounds good coming thought their set up. (imo)

..unless the thread is about a type of PA for an event/establishment then i would be out of the loop on that one.

you will want pa speakers for that kind of work.

Active speakers have an amplifier built into them, so there is no need to purchase a separate amplifier. A separate amp is required for passive speakers. Active speakers are often recommended for smaller setups as It is one less piece of equipment to set up, and you know that the amp suits those speakers.

What is your budget?

If your looking at spending NOT big bucks, get powered speakers, cheap power amps tend to over heat alot

If your looking for a basic pa package, go for this

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-PK-B212D

Everything you need in a pa package, if your looking for something with abit more thud, go for the 15" Audio line PA speakers.

(Or these https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-B215D)

quite a few people on here have bought the behringer 212's and 215's and have reported back saying they are happy with them.

However can't vouch for anything myself as i've never owned PA speakers.

215's - https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-PK-B215D

212's - https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-PK-B212D

Another option is hiring speakers and charging that out to the host of the party to start off with, before investing so much money

Edit: sol posted the same thing lawl

I own a set of 212. Got them for $300 each from cranbourne music. Personally I would got 12's and sub over 15's for the following reasons.

- significant bass is lost when putting speakers on stands. Hence the point of 15's (more bass) is kinda cancelled.

- less distortion, tops sound cleaner as bass is handled by subs.

- less weight.

- the 212 fit in the passenger seat of my car.

- you don't really need a sub for smaller gigs or wedding receptions.

- their loud enough, the most i've ever had them on is 1/3.

You need to look out as cheaper brands will often say 1000watts. But sound shit. Ideally hear them in person and get peoples recommendations.

• 1 month later...

It seems its already been covered, but Active = Powered. Active/powered and passive are your two options. At the end of the day, there is no difference - a power amplifier will be powering a speaker. The difference is whether that amp is enclosed in the same physical box as the speaker cone (active / powered box) or if it is seperate (passive box + separate amplifier).

Main specs to consider - the higher the SPL rating, the louder they are. Forget the watts, and whatever else - RMS, peak, etc. All that is telling you is how much power it can draw at full output - which is useful to know, but tells you jack all about how loud it will be in the real world.

Weight of the speaker - don't underestimate how important this is. Unless you have a friend or two to always help, keep in mind you will have to lug these bastards around, in and out of cars, on and off of stands.

Your ears - go listen to them. I've heard 10" and horn boxes kick the ass of 15" and horn boxes in the bass department. It is all about how the speaker is put together, and the only real way to make a good decision about it is to listen to it, and ideally use it in the real world. If you can, consider hiring out the model you are thinking about, so you can try it before you buy it.

• 2 years later...

Another option worth checking out is DIY. Google Bill Fitzmaurice and have a look at the plans he has on offer, you can build a pair of folded horn subs and a pair of horn loaded tops for about $500 each [premium drivers, minimum recommended drivers will probably 1/2 the cost but also 1/2 the performance] (so that's a total of $2000 [plus build time] for your cabs, plus you'll need an active crossover which cost anywhere between $500-$3000, a couple of decent amps, budget say another $1500-$2000). So for a total of approx $4500 you will have on hand a system that will *decimate* any system that you could buy for the same amount. A "buy once" style approach which requires increased initial outlay and time and effort (which might not be available, if so just ignore me ;) ), but if done right, this approach would likely save you big $$$ in the long term plus you would have a pro-sound set up to last a lifetime.

My 2c :-)

Dan