Lemur for iPad - Review

legunner

The Lemur for iPad is a very creative and intuitive way to control your software with your iPad (or iPhone). It's touch screen interface is extremely accurate and rarely (never happened for me but i assume it may) shows any sign of lag. Major stadium-touring acts use Lemur on stage. The original hardware version was introduced to the public in 2004 and Lemur software now benefits from nearly 10 years of development. These are just two of the reasons Lemur is the name cited when talking about multitouch control. - Liine's Website.

Set up: [8/10]

Set up was a breeze but i can see some inexperienced computer users struggling a bit.

Design: [10/10]

The design is by far the best feature of this program. You can download other user's templates from around the globe and the fact that you can build your own way of playing really appeals to me and i'm sure it would to you too. The Lemur is diverse and will always be changing which means it should always be able to find a spot in your setup.

Performance: [9/10]

Coming into this i wasn't to sure what to expect i had not had good experience with touch screen controllers in the past but the Lemur really delivers. It doesn't feel like an app it feels like a professional piece of music performance software which is what it is.

Cost: [?/10]

The Lemur app costs around $50 AUD and for me it was a small price to pay for a good piece of software, others may be different and i gave this a ? because i will leave that up to you to decide.

Overall thoughts: [9/10]

The Lemur is a direct port over from the original piece of hardware (Jazz Mutant Lemur) and it is a perfect fit. For what it is, and what it does, it does it damn well. At first i never thought i could use something like this in my setup but as i build the templates and modules for the Lemur it slowly takes away responsibility from my other controllers rendering them useless in my setup. It has benefited from over 10 years of development and updates and really shows that touch screen controllers could start becoming a lot more popular in the near future.

Buy this app if you:

1. Have an iPad

2. Want to try a unique, fluent and intuitive way of controlling your software

3. Can fork out $50 on a program

4. Like being able to design your own way of playing

Enjoy :)

being a noob, what the difference between this and touch OSC?

- Lemur is far more advanced than just basic midi functions like touch OSC.

- Physics engine for midi controls that is very very cool

- Advanced outboard sequencing

- Extremely customizeable

- Feels more professional than TouchOSC

- Acceleromter is awesome for doing 5.1 mixing with Ableton sends

- Lemur is definitely overpriced as an ipad app(although i justified the $50 vs the $2000 real deal pretty easily)

- Touch OSC is simple, and functions quite well. Lemur has a learning curve.

- If you are experiencing trouble over WiFi with TouchOSC, Lemur isn't going to make it any better.

- If you are satisfied with the control you get with Touch OSC, why not just get an ipad usb midi interface (there are some really cheap solutions, like < $25) and that way you won't have to deal with wifi? Unless you take your iPad into the crowd? in which case you might as well just get used to the hiccups.