Netgear WiFI Range Extender

FabDJ

What is the model your current router?

May be better just to upgrade that to a new wireless N one. However that also depends on what devices you intend to connect with.

Post model of your current router, and what you intend to buy and I can help you out

Thanks Mitch

The modem and ISP are provided by the company I work for so I dont want to set up my own cause its free.

Funny if I move my laptop 50mm closer to the modem from my bedroom it works,

But I have to look at the screen at 45 degree angle which pisses me off somewhat.

Probably 30m from the modem at the moment and signal strength is very low, if it goes to 30050mm it wont work.

Thats why I'm thinking of a transponder.

Iinet does not have an external aerial like my old D Link that can have a larger aerial installed for extra range.

ahk so its a iiNet modem/router. Think they are belkins mostly.

I own a Dlink DAP 1150 that will do the job you want. It can be configured to be a standalone router, an access point (get the wireless signal and output it to the wired connection) or as a repeater.

So you could get something similar to that. Set it to repeater mode on the back of it. Plug it into your computer initially to configure it then place it somewhere where there is still signal, but will boost it enough to get outside for you.

So yer i'd go for something like the DAP 1150, but they probably have alot newer models now. Also if they have them in a wireless n model get that just to future proof it a bit. I'd also probably see if they have a netgear one as I've had better experience with netgear than Dlink. Netgear is the shit to have for networking things.

Other option is to replace the modem/router for a better one. If you go that way, as mentioned above, Netgear models are second to none.

Hope this helps.

Depends on the situation gremmis. Sometimes no matter how good the router it won't have enough range. And it depends if his devices are n type compatible, type of house, size of house, location of modem/router etc.

Too many variables for us to make a 100% decision for him

• 1 month later...