My debut gig at a club

Hey guys. I have my first ever club gig tomorrow night at electric playground in brisbane playing at 2am at the silent disco. I know it'll be sort of peak time and that will suit me well cause i play high energy type stuff but i wanted to ask. Do you guys usually let many songs go into a breakdown or anything or do you just keep the beat going most of the time if you're playing that timeslot. I will be playing fairly high energy stuff along the lines of basto - rave you and congorock - ivory and things of the like. Would it be best to give them a break every so often? I'm used to just playing songs till the end of the breakdown then mixing into the second chorus (or whatever you would call it) so i kinda wanna play it safe and continue that but i can have the next song cued up so it just keeps going if i have to, it'll just be safer for me to do it the way i'm used to lol

Also if anyone has any tips or suggestions, i'm all ears :) (or eyes, whatever:P )

Generally for hard electro and progressive i always mix at the first drop.

That said by 2am everyone is munted as fuck or well on their way so it's time to take them on a trip to mars so i like to go for the songs with awesome melodic breakdowns and buildups hands in the air shit ;)

Throw in a singlong track or two at this time of night too rhcp - otherside remix etc.

If it's a really fucked crowd you can honestly play what you want lol

Good luck man make sure you tell us how you go.

I forgot to add, i do really long blends lol, that's why i never mix at the first drop :P Yeah there's gonna be a few good commercial remixes in there so people have something they know just to keep people interested a little more. I have a fairly decent mix of teen spirit and a fucking sweet remix of insomnia so i'm pretty sure people will respond to them. I'm aiming for sweaty, heaving, lumping bass. Chug i think people call it. Sorta going from what i mentioned before into stuff like sandro silva - epic and la fuente - dounia if you can imagine so i don't think it'll be too difficult to keep that sort of stuff going without too many breakdowns...

Yeah sounds like you have it covered man what's your facey/soundcloud?

I only find i mix in at the first drop as people tend to get bored of tracks without well known vocals if you play them too long, but 2am should be fine you will get a feel once you start anyway.

Love dounia's it's almost bloody trance, speaking of which i'm going to be trialling a few trance trakcs next time i play candys see how it goes, trance is on the up again man.

soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/zoidburgg

Facey: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=727248459

I just have a house and a tech house mix up there at the moment, nothing like i will be playing tomorrow. I literally have no idea what is being played in clubs these days. I'm lucky to get out once every 6 months with my new daughter here lol. I haven't even been to this club i'm playing at tomorrow haha. I've never been into trance but i'm hearing some really cool shit come out of that section on beatport, i've been keeping my eye on it :P

Cheers cupe. Don't count on me remembering many songs i play though :P

I'm a big fan of nicky romero's sound but i don't wanna play all the same kind of stuff all night, i wanna keep it heaving all night but progress through a couple of styles and maybe even genres. I'll just do what i do at home. Plan the first track or 2 then see where i end up :P gotta learn to read a crowd anyway so i'll see what they respond too and head in that direction :) thanks heaps for your input. Much appreciated.

by 2am i recon everyone will be too fucked to care

id keep engery high, and then maybe an awesome breakdown every few songs.

but this is all part of DJing, gota read the crowd.. if it looks like they jsut wanan keep going, fuckt eh breakdown. but if they are starting to tire, maybe give them some rest

either way dude. goodluck, youll kill it :thumright:

Well, i played a pretty sweet set and everything was perfect, only problem was there was no one there to hear it lol. That was the most dead i've ever seen a club on a saturday night in my life and all the batteries in the headphones for the silent disco were dead, there was only about 2 or 3 pairs that worked. I had 2 people start listening for about 30 secs and they were liking it but then the headphones cut out so i thought fuck it and pulled the plug 15 mins early lol. I even let some chick and another guy have a crack on the decks even though they had no idea what they were doing :P I wasn't in the wrong though cause 10 secs after i pulled the plug the main room dj walked out the front door too and the club shut down at 3. Oh well, hopefully next time someone will listen :P Thanks heaps for your support and advice guys. I really appreciated it.

it wasn't too bad, like cupe said, no pressure field experience, i got to see what it was like without really having to do anything :P I have a gig at a night called underground resistance at woodlands on coniston lane behind alhumbra on august 4th playing a tech house set. http://www.facebook.com/events/461680240526124/ is one of the event flyers for anyone wishing to attend :) Awesome place, it's full of hippies and it's a kind of relaxed atmosphere with sweet ass tech house and balearic house out the back and they were playing along the line of hardstyle in the front room last time i went. I will hopefully get something substantial soon, i am getting out and meeting people more now so getting my face and name out to a few people so i can unleash on this city! :teef: haha

Thanks man :) I have only started getting into tech house and house and that sort of stuff in the last month so still trying to find what's good and what sounds i like and all that stuff, I'm keeping an eye on some of the mixes going up on here in recent times to find new sounds and styles. There's some talented people in this little corner of the web!