Technics 1200 won't turn off

Duz

Just going to write a 'journal' about a problem I've run into with a turntable (won't say who's unless they say themselves).

It's a mk5 imported from japan, which means it only has the single voltage, for some reason it doesn't respond to the power switch being on or off.

I have taken it apart, and all the components look fine, however, the circuit remains closed even if the switch is in the 'off' position. The switch has been de-soldered, and tested and it works fine.

The problem appears to be in the snubber circuit (the resistor and cap in series) on the power PCB, as the on/off switch works fine when the circuit is broken. I replaced the 4.7ohm resistor for a 10, and the same result occurs, placed a 50ohm resistor in and same. Placed a 1kohm resistor on it and it burnt in a few seconds, however, I placed a 1mohm resistor on it and operation appears to be normal. I can't think of any reason that this would happen out of the blue, but the turntable has had an LED replacement recently which may have changed a few voltages, but I shouldn't have to change a resistor from 4.7 to 1m....strange....

Most people already know that it's my TT and don't really care, I would just like a resolution for the problem that we are having, my other MK 5 had the same mods done to it but that is still working fine, not having this issue.

Would anybody on here have any ideas why this problem would be occurring? It's really stumped both Duz and myself

• 1 year later...