Audio Technica LP-120USB Turntable

bhootnike

Audio Technica LP-120USB Turntable

G'day ,

So.. Anyone got a pair or used the Audio Technica LP-120USB Turntables ?

I'm a beginner looking for a pair of decks that are cheap but decent, and also something I can get locally - melbourne, ( Makes it easier in case something goes wrong, repairs, warranty etc).

I found these on the dj warehouse :

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/djgear/tu ... table.html

Was wondering what your thoughts on this turntable are?

I am looking at getting traktor scratch A10, well atleast that or scratch 2.5.. Is that a good combo with these decks?

These are selling for 389 bucks each, which I thought was pretty cheap!

If not, i'd appreciate some guidance as to which turntables I should look at, taking into consideration I am a beginner.

If it has usb in the name I wouldn't think highly of it at all. Also you are going to want to make sure you get direct drive tt's.

Im on my phone atm so can't link you to them. But for your low budget tt's id get some stanton t-62's from store dj, I think there actually cheaper than those ones you where looking at.

Also what made you decide on turntables? I heard you say you where looking at getting into clubs, if so Cdj's would be your best bet, sure clubs have tt's. But cdj's are going to be what you will be using.

A pair of 800's and traktor/serato would be great (that's what I have)

Anyways back on topic,

An audio 10 is for people using 4 desks. What you want is a audio 4 (in a scratch duo package, $200 second hand) or an sl1

If you are going to be using it with a pc, PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE GET SERATO. Traktor on pc has hundreds of compatability issues.

Il continue this post on my lappy tomorow.

Hi,

thanks for the reply!

Haha,i dont even know why there'd be a usb feature in a turntable.. ?

but yeah theyre direct drive :)

apparently their meant to be a cheaper alternative/ 'version' of technics 1200. obviously with some differences in quality and build.

thanks. ill take a look at those!

Turntables - because I wanna begin DJ'ing from scratch and with basics (scratching, etc).

btw I don't see myself mixing at clubs any time soon :P bedroom DJ is where I'll be at for the next few months!!!

but i can assure you, my eyes are also on some cdj decks.

Once I get money ill invest in them, so i'm thinking that ill begin with vinyl, and then buy some cdj decks later once I get my head around the nitty grittys of DJ'ing.

tried looking up SL1 - no longer in production, 'rane sl2' has replaced it

If by pc you mean windows., it seems like i'll have to consider serato over traktor if its true that windows and traktor are a misfit!

im not a mac person, so yeah haha

btws thanks for that, I thought that the A10 was just new software haha, but like i said, i use windows so seems like

serato will have to be considered of the two .

also just looked, SL2 costs the same as A10 haha. isnt that a rip off? since the latter can take 4 but sl2 can only take 2decks!?

thanks a bunch

Also what made you decide on turntables? I heard you say you where looking at getting into clubs, if so Cdj's would be your best bet, sure clubs have tt's. But cdj's are going to be what you will be using.

If you are going to be using it with a pc, PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE GET SERATO. Traktor on pc has hundreds of compatability issues.

oh sol y u always say same thing

why would it be what he would be using. if he has learnt on turnies, and the club has turnies, why would he use a cdj? huh.....

and traktor works okay on my pc? yes i havent upgraded to 2.5 so cant vouch for it. but i think traktor has bugs regardless

haha, regardless of what clubs do, im not at that level yet.

I wanna basically be a bedroom dj for a while, learning everything on turntables, before i get cdjs.

regarding the traktor, eggssell, do you recommend it? or have you used serato before?

btw i had a question eggssell, in my other thread, you said :

oops yeah you do need soemthing else a sound card.cupes link above wil give you info for traktor scratch, which basically needs one of their soundcards (audio 4, audio 6, audio 8 or audio 10) or a certified mixer which has a built in sound card. and for serato you need a rane sl1, or rane sl3 soundcard, or one of the rane mixers with a built in soundcard

firstly, which mixer do you use? secondly, are the soundcards actual soundcards you have to get put into the laptop, or is it a dongle type thing? cause ive been trying to look em up on the net for a while, and all that comes up in reference to soundcard is the actual hardware piece you get. i.e. http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... 0/?type=99

in terms of value for money, that A10 sounds better. because IF i want to connect 4 decks i can, and im paying the same price for the rane sl2 !

seems to be some conflict in terms of whether serato or traktor is better for windows lol..

ill find some reviews on the net about it and get back to you guys

Alright honestly your better of using the extra dosh from the audio 10's to get Stanton STR-8's over the T62's

You can get them cheaper than this, but they are top notch TT's, and have been arguably referred to as technic's killers.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-STR8150

Otherwise, here are the other's I was talking about

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-T62

Remember that you have to buy an audio 10 package, with traktor you need to buy both the hardware and the software.

With serato all you need is the hardware, the software is free.

Also trust me when you say, you are pretty much NEVER going to do 4 deck mixing, perhaps the possibility of hooking up two tt's and two cdj's.

But the thing is, you need to be a little bit prepared for the fact that you might not like it, in which case Second hand cdj's hold there value VERY WELL.

Im pretty sure you can do 4 deck mixing with an audio 8 anyway, so perhaps conciser that. (If you decide to go with traktor)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-la ... 1003903907

It has EVERYTHING you need, offer him $300 and it will be bout $25 for postage, pay via paypal and it will be safe if he doesn't live near you.

Id have to recommend serato though, seriously, it runs so smooth on a pc, If I could turn back time I would choose it over traktor.

Not to mention most clubs (around me anyway) have SL2's or SL3's already in them, so all you would have to do is bring your vinyl and your lappy.

Remember second hand gear can be your friend, just make sure you inspect it properly.

hey mate sorry didnt get around to getting back to you.

anyways, the soundcards are external so no need to install into laptop.

i use a standard mixer (reloop iq2). the certified mixers i spoke about have built in soundcards (both traktor and serato mixers are available).

in regards to turnies the main thing to look for is direct drive. the amount of torque (ability of the turntable platter to reach speed from stop) is arguably also something to think about. but considering that tech 1200's which everyone gets a hard on over have less torque than your other OEM models, yet it didnt seem to bother the industry for many years, then i dont think it is as big an issue as people say.

the OEM models as they have come to be known were all based on the 1200 and all come out of the same factory and are very similar to each other. so this includes st150's, some american audio ones, (search OEM in the forum i am sure the list will pop up)

and sol is correct in saying you will really have to think about whether you will mix on four turntables, unless you going back to back with someone. HOWEVER keep in mind if you have a three to four mixer channel and want to bring in a controller to drop samples while also having the two decks, then more than two inputs would be desired.

oh and yes i have used both traktor scratch and serato.

but keep in mind i only use my dvs as a carriage device to replace my records.

so literally i search for the song i want, then hit ctrl+left or ctrl+right depending on which deck im using, and then i just mix as i normally would.

so for me there is no difference in either (except looking for songs in traktor is easier than serato but i guess you get use to it). in fact when i first bought my intention was to get serato, but at the time djw had overstocked tsp so were selling at an awesome value (or so i thought but nek minit that became the rrp. :wall: fuuuuuuuuu )

i havent looked in a minute but back then tsp had a lot more features than serato. it is probably the same now even though serato has boosted its features since then. but the truth is you need to ask yourself whether you will actually use any of these features.

I've never used the tuntables you have posted, but yes they will do the job working in with an audio 10 and traktor scratch pro.

I've owned stanton turntables in the past and rate them pretty highly.

In relation to traktor, I am running TSP2 and have found that it is CPU heavy which can lead to pops/crackles and audio that chunks up on the odd occasion, HOWEVER I am running it on a macbook with a core duo 1.8 or 2ghz which is an old hunk of junk.

if it were on a more current macbook, i have no doubt that it would be fine.

I love traktor, and my only issue with it is the time and hassle of connecting/disconnecting it in the club environment. This applies to serato too.

for this reason, I plan to move to rekordbox with pioneer decks :)

I just remembered something.

If you want to meet half way between cdj's and tt's

denon_dns3700.jpg

Pretty much imagine a cdj with a 9" revolving platter that reacts like a turntable.

Accepts usb, cd and works with serato

Lloydc is selling two of em for a good price too.

The link you posted pointed to the correct sound card

Haha, sweet. Wasn't sure if it was an actual sound card, or a piece of hardware/dongle..

thanks.

Alright honestly your better of using the extra dosh from the audio 10's to get Stanton STR-8's over the T62's

You can get them cheaper than this, but they are top notch TT's, and have been arguably referred to as technic's killers.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-STR8150

Otherwise, here are the other's I was talking about

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-T62

Remember that you have to buy an audio 10 package, with traktor you need to buy both the hardware and the software.

With serato all you need is the hardware, the software is free.

EDIT. Dont know what happened, but i wrote up my findings.. anyways here it goes again:

I did some research and looked at the storeDj website.

Firstly, the A10 is selling for 579 bucks, and yes, that is including the hardware, software, and a 'free' remix deck. - https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TSA10

Now i thought this was a fair deal, but when you mentioned that the 4deck thing, I had a look at some others, and i came across:

Traktor scratch pro A6 ! - https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TSA10

its exactly the same as A10 except the soundcard thing is different, and differs in that: "And if you're looking for even more connectivity and a MIDI port (e.g. for MASCHINE sync),check out TRAKTOR SCRATCH A10."

so it doesnt have more connectivity and a midi port..

the good thing about it is, its selling for 379 bucks!

now, looking at serato : https://www.storedj.com.au/products/RAN-SL2

this is selling for 589 bucks..!

So basically, at the moment, i'm particularly keen on the traktor SP A6 because it is cheaper, suits my deck needs, i get that remix deck haha, and its got the latest software.

i just need to determine if the software issues are going to bother me much, - more on this below..

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-la ... 1003903907

It has EVERYTHING you need, offer him $300 and it will be bout $25 for postage, pay via paypal and it will be safe if he doesn't live near you.

Id have to recommend serato though, seriously, it runs so smooth on a pc, If I could turn back time I would choose it over traktor.

Not to mention most clubs (around me anyway) have SL2's or SL3's already in them, so all you would have to do is bring your vinyl and your lappy.

Remember second hand gear can be your friend, just make sure you inspect it properly.

^this!

I have to think about it. If its better to get the A6 or the A8.. which i think is now discontinued by NI.

But again, hahah, for PC, yeah.. which is better is the question. I'm hearing you, TSP isn't as good as serato on pc!

I just need to figure out what I need based on the fact im still a beginner and my budget which is probably 1500 bucks all up. :\

and also, won't be working in clubs or stuff for a while still, so I don't really have to consider it for club use anyway :P

Second hand gear is also an option in terms of money, but if i'm getting some decent stuff brand new with the warranty and ease of return option, i'd rather opt for that.

But, ill consider it. lemme do some more research and I'll try and find some good deals.

hey mate sorry didnt get around to getting back to you.

anyways, the soundcards are external so no need to install into laptop.

i use a standard mixer (reloop iq2). the certified mixers i spoke about have built in soundcards (both traktor and serato mixers are available).

Hey nah thats okay:) haha

oo ok, well if I do get that A6, it'll come with the soundcard by the looks of it, so, based on my budget i'll opt for some mixer which is good but not expensive.

found this : https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NUM-M101

looks simple and its relatively cheap

anyway back on topic:

in regards to turnies the main thing to look for is direct drive. the amount of torque (ability of the turntable platter to reach speed from stop) is arguably also something to think about. but considering that tech 1200's which everyone gets a hard on over have less torque than your other OEM models, yet it didnt seem to bother the industry for many years, then i dont think it is as big an issue as people say.

the OEM models as they have come to be known were all based on the 1200 and all come out of the same factory and are very similar to each other. so this includes st150's, some american audio ones, (search OEM in the forum i am sure the list will pop up)

and sol is correct in saying you will really have to think about whether you will mix on four turntables, unless you going back to back with someone. HOWEVER keep in mind if you have a three to four mixer channel and want to bring in a controller to drop samples while also having the two decks, then more than two inputs would be desired.

the stanton t-62s are direct drive :)

as are the previously mentioned audio technica lp120 usb tt's.

yeah, well for home use, and even if i want to use it outside home, i wont be needing to share it now, so ill opt for 2 decks , which the a6 covers.

oh and yes i have used both traktor scratch and serato.

but keep in mind i only use my dvs as a carriage device to replace my records.

so literally i search for the song i want, then hit ctrl+left or ctrl+right depending on which deck im using, and then i just mix as i normally would.

so for me there is no difference in either (except looking for songs in traktor is easier than serato but i guess you get use to it). in fact when i first bought my intention was to get serato, but at the time djw had overstocked tsp so were selling at an awesome value (or so i thought but nek minit that became the rrp. :wall: fuuuuuuuuu )

i havent looked in a minute but back then tsp had a lot more features than serato. it is probably the same now even though serato has boosted its features since then. but the truth is you need to ask yourself whether you will actually use any of these features.

Mm, well, I dont know if ill be using all the features,. I will probably use the remix deck if I get traktor,

and I honestly don't know how much of the software i'll use. in mind, i had pictured myself using the control vinyl, my own songs, some scratching and dj techniques, then some effects..

once i get it ill learn it and then i'll use it, but i cant tell now !

and aw haha, bad luck..! :\

I've never used the tuntables you have posted, but yes they will do the job working in with an audio 10 and traktor scratch pro.

I've owned stanton turntables in the past and rate them pretty highly.

In relation to traktor, I am running TSP2 and have found that it is CPU heavy which can lead to pops/crackles and audio that chunks up on the odd occasion, HOWEVER I am running it on a macbook with a core duo 1.8 or 2ghz which is an old hunk of junk.

if it were on a more current macbook, i have no doubt that it would be fine.

I love traktor, and my only issue with it is the time and hassle of connecting/disconnecting it in the club environment. This applies to serato too.

for this reason, I plan to move to rekordbox with pioneer decks :)

Hello :)

okay, well thats assuring :D

i see, well .. since I am at home, i could just use my desktop.. which is a gaming computer hahah, its pretty juiced up for when it was built, - last year, but if cpu, ram and stuff are a matter of concern, desktop could relieve that?

and when i decide im going to exit the bedroom & enter the real world, i could get a good laptop .

and the hassling of cables bit wont bother me for now! :)

I just remembered something.

If you want to meet half way between cdj's and tt's

'image quote removed'

Pretty much imagine a cdj with a 9" revolving platter that reacts like a turntable.

Accepts usb, cd and works with serato

Lloydc is selling two of em for a good price too.

o yea? not bad..

i'll read up on em. I wanna be able to scratch and stuff so lemme have a little read :)

thanks thanks thanks everyone,

you know you're at the right place when theres so much help around!:D

Mm, well, I dont know if ill be using all the features,. I will probably use the remix deck if I get traktor,

and I honestly don't know how much of the software i'll use. in mind, i had pictured myself using the control vinyl, my own songs, some scratching and dj techniques, then some effects..

once i get it ill learn it and then i'll use it, but i cant tell now !

most mixers have effects anywho. i have never used traktor effects and its been about 2.5 half years. my mixer has echo, flanger, and high/low level passes which is more than enough for me.

look in buy and sell for stuff.

dflux was selling a mixer

crundyy was maybe selling turnies...

skank was maybe selling an SL1 (though it may have been in a pack only)

also the audio 2/4/6/8/10 are the soundcards.

i assume there are a few audio 8's around so dont worry about them being discontinued. i know someone in the gong who just packed his away and doesnt really like it ;)

the mixer dflux is selling has 3 channels. - hows the crossfade work with that!? with 2 , the middle allows for both decks to go live, with 3, will the middle just allow channel 2 ?

but, if he's still got it, im defz gonna contact him! its a good deal!

btw, theyre goood, but crundys turnies are 750 each lol, :P .

they look great, but had a look at prices , and at llyodc's offer,

still a bit too dear.

im thinking i may get those 2 stanton 62s for 500 bucks,

then later on get a pair of pioneer cdj's.

It would be 1k for the pair, and you wont need an audio x, it's inbuilt into each player.

Still if you want proper tt's go with the 62's i guess

the cross fader will have an assignment function so you can select whether its a to b or a to c or b to c

wonderful :) thanks for the info again!

i also found this on gumtree : Pioneer DJM400

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kilda ... 1003779211

these are selling for 350 lol, other people selling it for 500 +

might give this a shot if dflux doesn't have his anymore

It would be 1k for the pair, and you wont need an audio x, it's inbuilt into each player.

Still if you want proper tt's go with the 62's i guess

o ok,

ill think about this!

thanks a bunch mate :)