Laptop guidence ! URGENT

deejayhazwal

hey guys,

I have been screwing around a lot with DJ software(eg. Traktor 2 Pro) and beat making software (Maschine). I have a desktop which runs everything great, but i was asked if i could DJ for a party last week and had to turn it down because i didnt have a laptop to use. I'm really lost on which laptop to buy. i see a lot of professionals with Mac Probooks and stuff, but they're expensive and not really in my price range. Is it worth saving to buy one? or should i choose a different brand? if so, which brand and model?

please and thank you :)

i dont have a preference between mac or windows.

Budget: $0-$1000

i'll probably use it for beat making as well. and at the moment, i dont have much. I have maschine mikro and thats it. I use my friends Numark Mixtrack pro tho. Hoping to find a decent controller or a cheap, yet decent mixer soon.

being a warranty technician for dell, apple and lenovo (as well as doing a bunch of other IT related tasks as my full time job), i'm personally more inclined to go with apple/lenovo/Dell simply because if anything happens to it i can fix it myself as the warranty technician. Dell provide the best warranty out of the main manufacturers (next business day on-site service). So someone comes to your house / work and replaces the parts right there and then. Which i think is something important to think about when purchasing a laptop. However this is probably biased as I deal with broken laptops every day. Failure rates are coming down in recent times (providing you look after it).

As far as something that will handle what you want to do, some basic specs I would recommend:

-something with a decent resolution screen (i deployed a few latitudes the other day with a full hd screen in a 15" which was pretty dope)

-core i5 quad core processor

-4GB RAM (8GB would be ideal)

-64 bit windows 7, so you can utilise more than 3.x GB of the ram

-enough USB ports to plug all your crap into (something that is commonly overlooked when purchasing laptops). you will need one for your maschine and one for either a timecode soundcard / midi controller. so youd probably want 3+ USB ports.

I'll leave you with those basic specs, go choose whichever brand you personally like, if you find a model your interested in and have any q's, post it here and i can answer anything.

Hope this helps

Hey mate,

Here are a few within the price range your looking at that if i was to buy a new lapotop, these are what I would be looking at.

$999.00http://www.orangeit.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=135_142&products_id=3255

$799.00http://www.orangeit.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=135_142&products_id=3323

$799.00 http://www.orangeit.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=3366

There are cheaper ones that will do the job as well, its totally up to how much cash you want to lay down.

$649.00http://www.orangeit.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=135_142&products_id=3228

If it's purely doe performance/music stuff go mac, if you want to use it for normal tasks then would go windows man.

Can vouch for the new HP's being very solid man, that said i think these days they are all fairly good because competition is so high.

Go out and play with some to get an idea, dont forget storage size should be important for a music laptop as well.

• 10 months later...