Which program do you use to record your mixes?

DionDJ

Reason I ask is that I just bought a new laptop & when I record though Audacity it comes out really tinny and poor quality, almost like it is using the internal microphone and picking up the sound that is coming through the speakers in the room.

My old laptop has internal and external sound drivers, this one just says Microphone and when you look in the settings in depicts and internal and 3.5 jack. Not too sure if that means it automatically detects that when you plug in something to the jack it will use that input instead.

Ughh! it's giving me a headache.

if i'm on traktor i use traktor's internal record.

if i'm on itch i use itch's internal record.

if i'm on anything else I use ableton with my native instruments 8 soundcard as the A/D convertor...

...but I never render the audio in ableton. I just source it on the hard drive and use it raw.

TBH i heard audacity was as good as anything else. Your sound quality is more likely to be due to the lack of a quality A/D convertor. Internal laptop soundcards are not known for high quality.

Although it could be that you are recording via your minijack and the soundcard settings think it's a mic. If you can change the setting to "line" which is what a DJ mixer's output is.