Getting my kick to stand out

jbeard

Been a long time since I posted because I got lazy making music.... finally got some motivation back and my track is sounding good. But I am using a sample track for my drums, and i can't get the kick to stand out... I am looking for ideas to make my kicks sound sweet but not have to cut every kick out of my sample track and put filters on it.

If that makes sense.....? haha.

I'm using logic.

Cheers

Been a long time since I posted because I got lazy making music.... finally got some motivation back and my track is sounding good. But I am using a sample track for my drums, and i can't get the kick to stand out... I am looking for ideas to make my kicks sound sweet but not have to cut every kick out of my sample track and put filters on it.

If that makes sense.....? haha.

I'm using logic.

Cheers

Excuse me if I'm reading this wrongly.

You will not be able to get the kick to stand out properly from a loop. The best way to do anything with drum loops is to cut them up and give each part it's own channel so you can EQ, effect etc as required.

Excuse me if I'm reading this wrongly.

You will not be able to get the kick to stand out properly from a loop. The best way to do anything with drum loops is to cut them up and give each part it's own channel so you can EQ, effect etc as required.

if it was just drums (no bass) in the loop and you were ok with the mix of whats in the loop you could also add a parallel drum loop track, low pass it so that only the low end of the kick comes through and then sidechain that to everything but the drum loop and mute the parallel track. BOOM

would probably end up sounding pretty terrible overall though

I honestly do like no processing on my kick. If you want your kick to stand out, you just have to find the right sample to begin with. If you find yourself EQing and compressing and limiting and processing the shit out your sample to make it sound good, it probably sucked in the first place. Sample selection is key.

Also, try layering a clicky hi-hat over the top of it, helps cut through the mix better.

I would add a kick on it's track, synthesised or sampled from the original loop wouldn't matter as long it was high quality.

Then sidechain compress all the other tracks using the new distinct kick. If you compress the loop a little you'll help the new kick stand out. If you compress the loop a lot you'll get that pumping/breathing sound loved by dancefloors.

• 2 weeks later...