CDJ 850 BPM display when using USB?

overit

So I'm using rekord box to populate my USB sticks.

I have analysed all tracks in rekord box collection before dragging them from the collection to the USB playlists.

I can see the BPM in the rekord box GUI.

On the CDJ 850 I can sort by BPM and all the tracks clearly have the info with them.

But when I sort by playlist and load a track to the CDJ850 - It either takes ages to display a BPM or it never actually shows one.

Y LIKE DIS?

Using the BPM counter is a valuable tool when teaching beginners (not that I teach people to rely on them) and I have grown accustomed to the BPM detection on CDJ 1000s and CDJ 900s.

Is there some setting on the 850? Is it known for being slow? Is there something I'm missing?

All info welcome...

The bpm loads instantly when using analysed USB's for me so it shouldn't be like that.

When using CDs / unscanned tracks it doesn't load instantly, but nothing worse than a 1000.

Have you tested these usb's on 900s / 2000s to ensure it is the player and not the usb that is faulting here?

good question... they're not mine but knowing the organisation that bought them I bet they are exactly as they were when they left the factory.

I see there is an update available on the pioneer site so I'll chk if these need it and do it nxt time I'm using them.

LOL!

not my organisation mate.

It's one of the many departments I do work for. These are in a secure psychiatric hospital full of the criminally insane.

The in-house occupational therapy team spend a fortune on kit then don't maintain it. Big hearts, wrong approach!

I should have checked firmware really 1st but I always forget these employed whales don't think beyond their next fag break.

I should get chance to get the decks into my studio on sat eve and do firmware while nr an internet connection and with all necessary resources available. If it works I will then decide wether to charge them for my time or not :teef:

Files are all mp3. I'm guessing if they weren't it would be slower, but why do you ask?

okely dokely ausserinos...

my cdj 850s are on firmware version 1.08 now. They were on 1.06.

BUT:

I just played one of the dullest edm tracks i know with the straightest 4 on the floor audible kick drum. When browsing the track I can see that it has a BPM of 125.0 BPM set on the id3 tag.

The track has been playing for 3 minutes and it still has not given me a BPM readout. I could have timed it and calculated it myself by now!

Anyone got any magic button I press to make these 850s calculate BPM?

(mitch I hope you still got an eye on this)

LOL Gremm1s u Whale.

I have cdj1000mkIIs and Technics SL1210s which all fell of a dinosaur last century. I also have a Numark NS6, 2 macbookpros both running Itch, Ableton 8.2 and Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.

I am sponsored by a shop who have given me a native instruments S2, F1 and X1 plus a Z2 mixer.

My venue uses cdj900s which I maintain and use whenever I like.

My business partner has CDJ 1000 MK3s which are in our studio.

One of the youth work organisations I work for bought these cdj850s, and now I am discovering they need to neck up, just like you mate :D

OK Helpful Aussies.

I've just set rekord box up to analyse my whole collection again...

But in the meantime I had an extra peak in the preferences pages.

This how the ones I think would be relevant look. If there is anything wrong or there is anything more relevant in the other preferences panes which I should be looking at please let me know:

o905qe.png

2iu8g13.png

Cheers lads.

Nothing wrong with settings.

Bpm should show up regardless of any changes made.

Bpm will even show up in non record box usbs/CDs (just not as quick).

Perhaps that's something to test - try copy some files direct from iTunes (not going through recordbox) and put them Just in the root folder of the USB or burn an audio cd and see if the player picks up the bpm on those..

Nothing wrong with settings.

Bpm should show up regardless of any changes made.

Bpm will even show up in non record box usbs/CDs (just not as quick).

Perhaps that's something to test - try copy some files direct from iTunes (not going through recordbox) and put them Just in the root folder of the USB or burn an audio cd and see if the player picks up the bpm on those..

Tested this last night and the CDJs displayed BPM on tracks from root folder and on CD quite quickly.

SO... I guess I gotta go back to basic with how I use rekord box.

Previously I have:

Set up a playlist in Itunes.

Used the rekord box "bridge" to drag and drop the itunes playlist to the "playlists" pane of rekord box.

Analysed the whole collection in rekord box.

Left it running until analysis is complete.

Dragged whole playlists from rekord box "playlists" pane to the device.

Where am i going wrong?

hmmm..

that's pretty much how i use it.

Possibly try format that usb so it is fresh and has nothing on it,, force a re-analyse of a bunch of tracks and try those

(select a bunch of tracks ->right click -> re-analyse.

then reload the tracks to usb and see how you go.