MacBook geniuses = help needed!!

djrhysj

My sister in law forgot her password to her macbook air after not using it for over a year. :faku:

GOAL = To get in and recover old photos etc

-it has no bootable usb with it (it was an early model, i think before 2012)

-i have the boot disc it came with

-i have tried to do the command + r and command + s tricks but they don't work unless its lion or later

-i think this may only be running snow leopard

-my boss told me if i have the boot disc i can put it in my macbook pro and somehow boot from that disc over wifi to get in and change the password

-does anyone have a clue what im talking about?

-if so, can you help??

Put the snow leopard boot disc in. Reboot.

Hold in the "c" key to boot to the disc.

Once it's loaded

-choose a language

-choose "password reset" from the utilities menu (top of screen)

You should be able to handle it from there

Seems easy enough BUT there is no cd/dvd drive on the MacBook Air, hence my situation here.

Put the snow leopard boot disc in. Reboot.

Hold in the "c" key to boot to the disc.

Once it's loaded

-choose a language

-choose "password reset" from the utilities menu (top of screen)

You should be able to handle it from there

Seems easy enough BUT there is no cd/dvd drive on the MacBook Air, hence my situation here.

Woops!

Didn't read that part @ 5am this morning lol

If you have the snow leopard disc, what you can do is use an 8GB or larger USB drive and create a bootable USB using the cd.

I can write up some doco on how to do that tonight (I'm at work)

Another option is using another macs DVD drive (eg yours if you have one) and starting the MacBook Air in target disk mode and it can reads the disk from the other mac (can't remember if you can do this over network though, or if you need a FireWire cable, which you probably don't have)

USB option is probably easiest to walk you through, find an 8GB or larger USB that you can format and ill write up some instructions tonight for you :thumright:

PS you do have access to another mac, right?

Yep I'm at work doing it now, I have an MBP which I have gone to make a bootable USB, but it is only a 4gb one (F**K)

I will have to chase up an 8gb one and try this.

After I create the bootable usb how do i get to the utility menu to reset the password?

Hold in alt when booting. This brings up a boot menu. Select the USB drive and hit enter

Yep I'm at work doing it now, I have an MBP which I have gone to make a bootable USB, but it is only a 4gb one (F**K)

I will have to chase up an 8gb one and try this.

After I create the bootable usb how do i get to the utility menu to reset the password?

Hold in alt when booting. This brings up a boot menu. Select the USB drive and hit enter

Ah sweet cheers Mitch! I'll let you know how it goes.