Getting Acapellas to fit properly for remixes in abelton

SnatchMD

hey everybody

just wondering if anyone has any good methods or tips to get accapellas and or different sounds to match up when using abelton...

is it just alot of trial and error or is there an easy way of getting it to fit quickly..?

also just wondering if anyone has a good method of making accapellas without having instrumentals available...

cheers

also just wondering if anyone has a good method of making accapellas without having instrumentals available...

buy a mic and sing. ;)

trying to get an acapella to fit a track can be tricky depending on the original style/tempo of the vocal and the style/tempo of the track your trying to fit it in.

When i do mashups i will load the original track of the acapella in the arrangement as well.

So i can determine the tempo, key and placement/beginning of the acapella relative to the bar.

Else you can gauge by ear but most acapellas will still work better going off their placment in the original track the acapella if from.

get the original track and warp that first (it's easier because it has a beat) then get the accapella and warp it to match up with the original track in ableton. boom boom. quick and easy.

edit : miss read the first bit. always make sure it's in key. can use mixed in key for this if you don't have the ear for it.

get the original track and warp that first (it's easier because it has a beat) then get the accapella and warp it to match up with the original track in ableton. boom boom. quick and easy.

Quoted for the troof.

Although i do it in logic, Same sorta deal

-get original track & import

-determine bpm

-adjust bpm to suit instrumental

-acquire acapella

-adjust to the same tempo as the full version of track.

Tomy has hit the nail on the head

Just one quick addition, if its an edm track you are remixing, you can look up the original on beatport now that they list bpm and key to quickly find the key that the acapella will be in

Eg. I'm currently working on a dragonette remix so I looked up the original version on beatport to double checked i got the key right by ear of the vocals

Just one quick addition, if its an edm track you are remixing, you can look up the original on beatport now that they list bpm and key to quickly find the key that the acapella will be in

Eg. I'm currently working on a dragonette remix so I looked up the original version on beatport to double checked i got the key right by ear of the vocals

Don't always trust their bpm and key as gospel though

Don't always trust their bpm and key as gospel though

Mattus and myself were discussing the accuracy of Beatport's key info the other day.

He actually emailed them to find out, i have a feeling it isn't that good though as i remember a fair bit of discrepancy between MIK and BP.

Not all programs are equal, for example Rekordbox's BPM analysis isn't as good as i thought/hoped it was. After trying to figure out why my mixing was tighter on CDs and opposed to USB, i used to get my bpm through BPM analyzer which does a better job than Rekordbox.

After trying to figure out why my mixing was tighter on CDs and opposed to USB, i used to get my bpm through BPM analyzer which does a better job than Rekordbox.

Is that not a job for your ears? ;)

Of course you will always need some adjustments by ear, but when you need to mix in and out of tracks quickly to keep modern clubbers interested you have to take the basis of the read out and make adjustments.