Ghost Producing

ChevChelios

rihanna has a limited vocal range!!! i agree what an utter mocekry, how dare they say that

:teef:

but on the reals. i have a few thoughts.

i think this"ghost-producing" needs to be broken down before that type of accusation. if someone else develops a large piece of music and someone else sells it as though they developed it with no crediting; then that is ghost producing and is wrong.

on the other hand if someone is working on a track, and say bangs out a melody on some keys (or maybe even sings it) and talks about their imagining of it. and then someone builds that into a DAW. and that gets used in a track. i would not call that ghost producing. EDIT: another example of this, is if a producer brings in a live musician to add an element. keys, drums, strings. but uses only his voice or description to advise of the sound needed. then the studio musician comes up with the piece. i dont think the producer should be discredited.

OR if someone works on something, and someone comes in and effects/ masters/ tweaks it down. i would not call that ghost producing (in fact in the old days that was the job of the "producer" in music).

eggs makes a good point, it needs to be broken down under the circumstances.

OR if someone works on something, and someone comes in and effects/ masters/ tweaks it down. i would not call that ghost producing (in fact in the old days that was the job of the "producer" in music).

^ good point imo.

for me this has been a given for music for a long time.

I feel EDM these days has a stigma attached to it that you have to do the WHOLE track/album by yourself.

but the truth be told, artist have always gone into the studio with a hired producer to add expertise and add an element to the sound the band/artist has not explored/thought of.

even bands like Pink Floyd highly credit people like Alan Parsons for their production input.

Have no problem with good producers ghost producing commercial tracks so they can silk some money from the shitty scene.

As for actual producer artists having their work ghost produced, they can go suck a phat one, they are cheating themselves and their fans.

i think we are forgetting the history or back story of producers a bit here. it's generally been a producers job to re-write and help people write music better. Think of a pop / indie bands they always talk about who produced the album for them and are actually happy to say we got such and such to produce the album cause he worked with the Beatles or whatever. Which is all well and good.

its taken a bit of a weird road these days with the dj / producer thing and i think with dance music thats totally understandable. people like aoki or guetta shouldn't be getting other people to write there songs cause they are claiming to be the producer.

All good points.

My main qualm with the whole thing is the services that are coming out of it, where anyone can pay a wad of cash and get a track that could possibly become a hit, and ultimately take releases/shows/money away from the people with actual talent, and the people that have put the time into relatively mastering their craft.

Bollocks in my opinion. They should make time, sure they might have to turn down a few gigs, but they could put together a solid, genuine release that could keep them relevant for a couple of years.

Nothing more annoying than seeing someone ride the fame of one track for 5+ years.

Bollocks in my opinion. They should make time, sure they might have to turn down a few gigs, but they could put together a solid, genuine release that could keep them relevant for a couple of years.

Nothing more annoying than seeing someone ride the fame of one track for 5+ years.

I more or less agree, but not talking about one hit wonders here. I mean established, big names who could never produce another track in their life and still play gigs all over the world.

guess, at least for EDM, this is a time in where its a lot more important to see the 'performer' live for their 'name' and not so much for their music abilities.

i wont last forever. Its quick money.

the tides always change. only those that work hard & stay true come out clean.

In an ideal world the commercial rubbish wouldn't cross over into decent scenes but sadly it does.

Electro and house scenes are suffering a fair bit due to it.

It's not even the EDM thing, even with hip hop beforehand, the majority of commercial artists stopped taking risks and instead made safe music enuring an never ending cycle of stale music.

i hate this term EDM for big room house / electro. EDM in my eyes covers all electronic dance of any genre. silly yanks. lol.

exactly... the very words used to make up the hideous acronym kind of give it away.. Electronic Dance Music.

It's not, and doesn't relate to, a genre.

• 2 weeks later...
i hate this term EDM for big room house / electro. EDM in my eyes covers all electronic dance of any genre. silly yanks. lol.

Damn yankee doodles running around ruining everying!

In all seriousness though I get a kick out of claims that big names hire people because they don't have time to write their own stuff. Lyke omg I am guetta and i play a set every night and only have 20 OTHER FUCKING HOURS OUT OF THE DAY to sit on my ass and write music FOR MONEY. no pity.