Newb needs your knowledge.

krsjuan

So, I just picked up some 2nd hand technics 1200 mk2 and a Rane TTM 57SL mixer.

Previous to this I have mostly used CDJs so I'm a little lost in the world of vinyls.

So far I've been pretty much just mucking around on the gear, the Serato interface has made it really easy to jump straight into it.

I have two basic queries I'd love some comment/feedback on.

Firstly, any suggestions on how I can hone my turntable skills. Links, suggested beats, or your own experience when learning. Opinions on what I should concentrate on first, how important you think each element of turntablism is and where I should invest my time and practice.

Secondly, what is your opinion on the process of learning on turntables.

What I mean by this, is; Do you believe that learning is more a natural progression or is it something that requires things like repitition etc. that represent a more rigid/tradition learning method.

I guess to make answering these questions easier, my taste in music ranges from minimal tech to hip hop, But my passion lies in hip hop and this is where I want to take my turntable skills.

Any knowledge you can drop on these queries, or anything you think is relevant for a newb like myself, I'd really appreciate.

cheers, Kyle.

MOD. If this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it.

welcome man.

im down w/ hippity hop, and i too use control vinyl.

i found z-trips how to part of the scratch documentary really helpful, as well as shortees dj 101.

if you want to get into scratching, i suggest joining qberts skratch uni (not that ive done it but it looks awesome). its $60 for 3 months and it has 100's of vids plus you can upload your own.

definitely grab one or two dirt style records battle records. comes w/ plenty of basic loops to practice scratching over or use in beat juggling.

ellaskins (dj tutor) also really good, he does a few explicitly on hip hop and soul and showing how it has different time signatures and stuff.

and if you've read around i too am a newb, but i found that just by watching people really helps. and what im doing now is deconstructing some of my fave mixtapes, looking for bpm changes, transition styles, genre changes, blends, scratches etc,

welcome man.

im down w/ hippity hop, and i too use control vinyl.

i found z-trips how to part of the scratch documentary really helpful, as well as shortees dj 101.

if you want to get into scratching, i suggest joining qberts skratch uni (not that ive done it but it looks awesome). its $60 for 3 months and it has 100's of vids plus you can upload your own.

definitely grab one or two dirt style records battle records. comes w/ plenty of basic loops to practice scratching over or use in beat juggling.

ellaskins (dj tutor) also really good, he does a few explicitly on hip hop and soul and showing how it has different time signatures and stuff.

and if you've read around i too am a newb, but i found that just by watching people really helps. and what im doing now is deconstructing some of my fave mixtapes, looking for bpm changes, transition styles, genre changes, blends, scratches etc,

lots of good info. cheers man.

I've downloaded a few torrents worth of effect/acapellas and intrumental tracks which have been a great help. I just don't want to get ahead of myself, feel I should get some basics down first. I'll definitely check out the docos and videos you suggested.

cheers

Hi KYLE..welcome to the ADJF..

the big's thing to lean when going from Cd players to vinly ( time code vinly ) is leaning to use your fingers & your hands to mix with

using your fingers to slow down or to speed up the track to keep it in time ( BPM off the other track thats playing )

you do this by..( if slowing down )

1.]..running your finger lightly along the bottom off the platter { a big slow down }

2.]..running your fingers lightly on the vinly label { a medium slow down }

3.]..lightly turning back the vinly spindle on the turntable platter { a light slow down }

to speed up you do this..

1.]..with your finger lightly push forward on the vinly label { a big speed up }

2.]..lightly turn forward the vinly spindle on the turntable platter

when ever you use your finger to slow down or speed up..with your other hand you move the pitch fader up or down so the track don't drift off the beat

Heres a TIP...

get two off the same track...put them in each deck in S.S.L

now set one turntable at 0% and set the other turntable at +1%

now practice using your fingers [ by speeding the slow track up & slowing the faster track down ) to keep the beats in time

I'm originally self taught on vinyl turntables.

i'd say you can only teach yourself to a certain distance, then you need input.

get some tutorial vids, or go on youtube, or just check out around the net for resources.

hands on is good too, so check out your local places or meet up with some other DJ's. this site will eventually help you with that :P

It sounds like from your post you wanna get into turntablism and scratching and shit eh? look for the dj qbert training vids, and get some of the dirtstyle scratch tool vinyls, like scratchy seal and shit like that