SurfaceRT Thread

Gandy

I have been using my surfaceRT for a month or so now and have become quite comfortable with using it so thought I would make a thread for information, tips, and must have apps and accessories.

Firstly a brief overview of why I chose to purchase a surface over other tablets on the market, mainly the ipad/android tablets.

A big selling point for me with the surface was the fact that I am not a huge fan of android (note, im not saying android is a bad OS), and at the time the current gen iPad did not have a lot of work functionality, mainly lacking a professional office suite and some native window tools, I am also a lot more familiar with windows OS in a work environment, and I wanted a portable work solution. The web browser also uses the "full version" of websites not the "mobile" version, which is also a big plus.

Straight out of the gate, the surfaceRT comes with ms office suite, which to me is worth the $400 price tag alone. Windows RT also functions the same as Windows 8 except for the fact you cant install .exe files, only apps from the windows store. I bought this tablet to use as a tablet, not as a laptop, so not being able to install .exe intentionally (or un-intentionally lolmalware) is a positive for me. The surface also has a micro SD slot for memory expansion, a micro usb connection and a usb port.

When I first got my hands on windowsRT/8, the biggest frustration was getting used to the new metro page. A good way to get around this frustration is think of it as an expansion on the start menu, or a pretty looking desktop for all your shortcut icons you would normally have on your w7 box. Most of the time will be spent on the splash screen using your most common apps, and you even set it up to display all the admin tools on the splash screen as well. Once you spend a little bit of time organising the splash screen to how you want it, your love for windows 8 will exponentially increase, below is a screen shot of my current "start menu/desktop"

m8iw8mR.png?1

With windowsRT/8, you can also get to the "backend" or desktop with the touch of a button, you will see that there is a big tile called desktop, and guess what, it takes you straight to the desktop lol. All windows shortcuts/keys you have been using for the past decade (except scottie, grats on turning 15 this year) work, and all functionality like alt tab, multi tasking, task manager, just like the full blown windows 8

The surface is very light weight and portable, very "crisp" display and comes with a very nice set of accessories, the windows store is also maturing every day, and apart from an official face book app, there is nothing I have not been able to find in the app store. Below I will list a small section of accessories and apps I have found very handy.

Accessories:

Microsoft Touch Type Keyboard

"The" keyboard for the surface. Big thank you to Mitch for recommending this, give it about 10 minutes to get familiar with it and its just like typing on a desk keyboard, could not be happier with it and it also doubles up as a case, just like the ipad ones do. It also has a mouse pad included in the keyboard, much the same as a normal laptop has

HDMI Cable

There is also a HDMI adapter that I have used non stop, it is so much easier just to take your tablet and plug it in to the tv/display device than have to lug around a laptop/power supply if you want to watch some movies etc on the big screen.

Apps:

TuneIn (radio station app)

IRC Explorer (irc client, and imo shits all over mIRC)

Remote Desktop 8

Password Locker (password storer)

PepperPlate (all in one recipie/shopping list/meal guide/cook book)

This is a little rushed and probably edit it some when I get home from work tonight but thought I would throw up a quickie on my break and tidy it up tonight as I have been meaning to do this for awhile, and im sure Mitch has some great stuff to add as well :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PtKWngd.png

My SurfaceRT home screen, running 8.1 beta.

Super handy for doing bits and pieces when away from my desk at work or laptop at home.

Got rid of work emails off my iphone and just use this now.

Main apps I use:

-mail

-calendar

-remote desktop

-IRC Explorer

-reader

-metropass (password generator/storage)

-Skydrive

-code writer (essentially a metro version of notepad++)

-teamviewer

-citrix

-mFTP (FTP client)

-nextgen reader (RSS reader - syncs with feedly)

-Journey Planner VIC (basically metro app for PTV)

ive just added smart sticker HD as a to-do/joblist for the day as im finding my work inbox fills up with too much crap and missing flagged items/tasks, as well as my iphone not being the best at handing flagged/tasks on the native mail client. Seeing as I carry my surface with me everywhere this is a great little app to put everything in one place I need

just picked up a couple new useful apps

Files & Folders - metro file explorer without having to go through desktop, find it a lot easier than going through the desktop mode it is $7.99 however, I feel its well worth it though

Trackpad settings - free app from Microsoft that lets you change settings of the trackpad on the touch and touch type keyboard covers

Metro toolbox - free 6 in 1 tool, mainly use it for the currency conversion (shows all the conversions at the same time for different measurements instead of having to select each one individually) and the calc, which has scientific and programmable

So I've kinda decided that I'm going to get a Surface 2 after you and Mitch giving good feedback. Few weeks away. Have been reading a lot of reviews on the Pro 2 and am achally drooling over this, it'd essentially replace my entire laptop if I coupled it with a docking station. The ability to have programs (RekordBox, Ableton, etc) on it on the go would be pretty fucking amazing. And with Pioneers new Wifi controllers it only makes sense that this is the next step forward.

That being said, justifying the price for the Pro 2 > RT 2 is becoming difficult.

Have either of you used iPads in comparison? I think the Surface is going to be the go for general life & streamlining everything I do day to day, but have a feeling it will get left behind in the creative department (unless going for the Pro 2)

Files & Folders - metro file explorer without having to go through desktop, find it a lot easier than going through the desktop mode it is $7.99 however, I feel its well worth it though

Trackpad settings - free app from Microsoft that lets you change settings of the trackpad on the touch and touch type keyboard covers

Metro toolbox - free 6 in 1 tool, mainly use it for the currency conversion (shows all the conversions at the same time for different measurements instead of having to select each one individually) and the calc, which has scientific and programmable

Metro file browser (for the local, network & skydrive) is built into skydrive app on 8.1 update.

same with calculator/converter

Metro file browser (for the local, network & skydrive) is built into skydrive app on 8.1 update.

same with calculator/converter

im so sick of fucking waiting for 8.1

So I've kinda decided that I'm going to get a Surface 2 after you and Mitch giving good feedback. Few weeks away. Have been reading a lot of reviews on the Pro 2 and am achally drooling over this, it'd essentially replace my entire laptop if I coupled it with a docking station. The ability to have programs (RekordBox, Ableton, etc) on it on the go would be pretty fucking amazing. And with Pioneers new Wifi controllers it only makes sense that this is the next step forward.

That being said, justifying the price for the Pro 2 > RT 2 is becoming difficult.

Have either of you used iPads in comparison? I think the Surface is going to be the go for general life & streamlining everything I do day to day, but have a feeling it will get left behind in the creative department (unless going for the Pro 2)

selling point for me was office suite and usb on surface as I said in the first post. I now have my work one note synced with my work outlook for task and stat tracking on a daily basis, and my surface one note is synced with my work one note which also integrates with outlook

I don't think I would get a surface pro, to me a tablet should be a tablet, light, cheap, portable, piece of kit that cant die in the arse from malware/os being able to be edited etc

I was considering a pro as well (before this thread). But for my needs I will won't a full laptop. Decided on a convertible style, just waiting for some newer one before I grab one. I just bought a all in one desktop for my daughter and it is quite cool using W8 with a touch screen.

Never owned an iPad for comparison.

However I bought it to use email, calendar, type notes at Uni etc.

iPad is still better for creativity apps at this stage, as MS store is still lacking about. But for what I wanted it for (productivity & IT stuff on the go etc.) The surface fitted my needs.

You sacrifice battery life (an important factor in a tablet IMO) with the pro, as you're powering a lot more.

The RT lasts all day no probs.

The pro 2 with haswell chip Microsoft is claiming 8 hrs battery life though, will be interesting to see of that's accurate

True, haswell will bring battery life improvements.

I'm going to wait it out on this model,, rumours going around there is an LTE version coming next year.

I was trying to get a win8 tablet with 4G originally, but there were no good ones, so the surface with 4G would be mint. Can then get a data sharing plan with my phone

Pretty keen. Just cashed in my coin jars for anticipation, transferring the money off so I can't spend it like an idiot.

I'm getting super excited about this now. I don't think I can wait out for a 4G model.

I think you guys are right and I'm more than likely going to go for the RT2 over the Pro2.