Licensing

J2JSmall

Hi again,

I do apologize for the ongoing posts but if I am going to DJ, I want to do it the right way.

I read the post about licensing and still a little confused as a lot of the comments posted by users just take the topic in different directions.

I will post some scenarios and can you please tell me what kind of licensing I would need.

Scenario #1...

I get all my music and make my own mix of say 10 songs, I then take the mix and upload it to Youtube, I also post in the description the credit to all the artists including the name of the songs, I then use this youtube video to promote myself as a DJ... What would I need?

Scenario #2...

A local business that isnt exactly a nightclub but offers a place for people to hang out during the night asks me to play a set, although this place has the requirements of a decent audio system and a place for a DJ to setup, I dont think they would have the required license... What would I need? Do I need them to also hold a license?

Scenario #3...

I am asked to do a set at a private party on someones property... What would I need?

Do the licenses only count for certain times? venues? amount of tracks played? anything like that?

the comments posted by users just take the topic in different directions.

welcome to adjf :safe: hahaha. its okay we've changed from those days

Scenario #1...

I get all my music and make my own mix of say 10 songs, I then take the mix and upload it to Youtube, I also post in the description the credit to all the artists including the name of the songs, I then use this youtube video to promote myself as a DJ... What would I need?

no licence needed BUT if one of your tracks is from the many companies and artists that scan youtube, no type of licence will allow your mix to stay up. it will be taken down (do not include any songs from prince)

Scenario #2...

A local business that isnt exactly a nightclub but offers a place for people to hang out during the night asks me to play a set, although this place has the requirements of a decent audio system and a place for a DJ to setup, I dont think they would have the required license... What would I need? Do I need them to also hold a license?

someone will need to be paying APRA. so if its not the club it will need to be you. back in the day there used to also be a digital music licence needed if you are not using vinyl or cd's, but I know there were calls to scrap this (haven't looked in a while).

if the place regularly has people palying out OR even a tv that plays music I would think thye have some sort of licence

Scenario #3...

I am asked to do a set at a private party on someones property... What would I need?

if it is a private party and you are not getting paid then no licence.

if you are getting paid... I cant remember. ill let one of the mobile dj's let you know. there are a few on here, just give it a couple of days.

Scenario #3...

if it is a private party and you are not getting paid then no licence.

if you are getting paid... I cant remember. ill let one of the mobile dj's let you know. there are a few on here, just give it a couple of days.

oh yeh I remember now, there is a "playing out" licence you will need. and as above you will also need that digital music licence (if it is still around) which was if you had converted vinyl or cd's to mp3's

Appreciate the help, I just don't want to be stuck out when things start going well :)

So pretty much if I was to get a license from APRA, it would cover what I wanted to do, even if the venue does/doesn't have one?

Also can you link me to the correct license as the website has a billion different articles.