Basic Gear questions.

Kaspor

Hi guys, Just after some basic info in terms of a setup here,

I used to have an old Toshi laptop hooked up to a pioneer ddj-we-go which then ran through a muteki soundsystem,

I'd like to know, what is the benchmark for my setup, Do I need CD Decks? Or are the two digital mp3 turntables on the mixer enough, what are you opinions?

I plan to upgrade my controller to one around 1000 AUD and I'll probably get a new pair of 300 dollar cans, Im sticking with the muteki as i like the sound for the price, and ive just recently built a massive media desktop, but if say i were planning to DJ at a mates place or something, would probably get a new laptop.

The CD Turntables are what get me though I dont see many djs without them,

I'm assuming I should run the digital Controller aswell as two CD Decks?

It's up to personal preference + also your budget to what you have in the end of the day.

Luckily enough for me i have 2 cdj's and djm (club standard) which is great to practice on and just being able to walk into a club and use their gear with out any worries...but to be honest they aren't a necessity. If your looking at portability something like the pioneer ddj-sx and traktor controllers would be pretty sweet! with the capabilities of the high pioneer equipment but not weighing in near 30kg and easy to move around.

Some Dj's still use CD's, i don't. More a fan of the simplicity of taking my hdd and being able to go through my entire library with playlists and saved info.

Hope this somewhat helps

As for speakers.... i'm not the person to chat too! haha i've got $3000 jbl pa system. (2x15pa's and 18" sub) which are quick bulky to move around!

^

If you're wanting to play in clubs and shit, CDJ's would be a good option as they're standard. But if you only want to do house parties and bedroom mixing, you should just stick with what you're comfortable with. Better gear won't make you a better DJ, there's no point in buying the highest end gear with all the bells and whistles when you won't take advantage of that functionality.

take it from a person who has owned a few setups now

if you dont do the work before you step in front of the decks and then the practice in your own time away from others (meaning developing self critiquing skills) you will never be able to hold a solid mix together

good gear is great, but as mentioned above what use are certain functions if you wont use them. for most its a play, cue and method of scrolling through a track. beyond that is a bonus. i personally dont use the variable jog wheel functions on my 2000's but ask me how ide feel without my hot cue banks, cue points and link functions and ide probably hurt you.

use what your skill level allows while providing you room to expand. when you stop being able to add new things, new skills, techniques or flavour to your set youll get stagnent, boring and you mightnt even listen to yourself which is always a bad sign.