Ideal Frequency ranges of bass/sub bass/drums

mattus123

well the numbers change every time but i can give you a rough example as to what i do.

you want your sub to control the lower frequencies. sub bass i usually start cutting off around 30hz and boost up some mid low frequencies to give it some depth. the bass synths i would start around 100hz - 150hz (or more depending on the sound) to avoid phasing with the sub. synths i would cut off the frequencies that would clash with the subs or with other frequencies from other synths. the drums sections are the same idea.

it all depends on the patch or sample you use which will determine what frequencies you will cut off or increase. hope it helps you out. just keep your ears open

any where below 30 you can't really hear. I've heard a few people say its more of a feeling that low and I've also heard around 70 is the punch in the chest spot with kicks etc.

it was my understanding that anything below 30 your probably making the subs work way too hard. which means while they are trying to push out shit in that sub range then your really going to make them struggle to get out shit above that which can really mud up the mix then on top of that you cant hear it so there isn't much point.

The reason you tend to hi pass above 30 or 35 or even 40Hz is that those frequencies take up a lot of amplitude and you don't want to waste that on something you don't hear (as a rule of thumb lower frequencies tend to use more power or amplitude to be heard where as higher freqs not so much). 40Hz is a nice frequency for sub and kick notes but it's about as low as you really need to go (maybe drum and bass and dubstep basses go a bit lower just for sh!ts and giggles). Anything lower is going to make mastering your track and even mixing your track much harder for not much audible sound.

If you got a good EQ that can solo frequencies (I use fabfilter pro Q for example) I solo the sub frequencies and move the frequency dial further along until I can hear the sub tones and put my cutoff around there. Each patch is different but it's between 30Hz and 40Hz. If you can get an EQ that can solo frequencies it'll help you heaps