Recording with RMX 40 Reloop

Trennaa

Hi guys.

I have just bought my first setup - 2x CDJ 350's and an RMX 40 Reloop mixer.

I've read on reviews it's possible to record from the mixer via USB, but I am lost as to how. I bought the equip second hand so unfortunately no manuals.

I have a laptop which im hoping I can record to MP3 with.

If you have a look on the back of the mixer, should have two usb outputs on the back (54 & 55)

0FULi1G.png?1

I don't know the specifics of your set up, but the manual I've found online says:

- First connect USB1 (54) and following recognition by the computer, connect USB2 (55) to be able to distinguish USB Codecs (UAC3556B / 2) more easily in the system

- Important: To record the master signals, go to Audio Properties (System Control > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio > Sound Recording) and set USB2 as the standard device, then select in the “Volume” menu the “Line In” item and set the volume to maximum.

- To record from Channel 1 only, set USB1 as the standard device.

For recording mixes, I'd recommend using Audacity. Instructions can be found pretty easily on how to change your settings so that you're recording from the correct input device and the quality settings are okay. If you need help with this, just have a look in the beginners section or ask in here and someone will help you out.

ps here's a link to the manual if you need it again in the future: http://www.reloop.com/media/catalog/pro ... oop_IM.pdf

Ok, so I have a Toshiba laptop, which obviously has its own internal microphone (which I clearly don't want to use.)

My steps I have done:

Plug in a usb cable to both USB 1 and USB 2 into the reloop mixer.

Turn on both CDJ's and mixer. Plug in USB1 Computer recognises. Rename this input as "USB1" in properties (for easier recognition).

Plug in USB2 Computer recognises. Rename this input as "USB2" in properties (for easier recognition). And set this as DEFAULT Sound recorder device.

Open Audacity, select Tranbsport> rescan audio devices.

In drop down menu for microfphobe source, select USB2.

Play song on either deck (ensure its coming through speakers etc), click record on Audacity, as you can see. there's NOTHING being captured.

audacity_zps4c4c6082.jpg

If there's more info I can provide to troubleshoot, let me know. Thanks

If you're not having any luck with the USB recording, how I do recordings is an RCA to 3.5mm in on my computer.

On the back of the mixer near where those USB ports are, there is an l+r for "rec" out.

You need an RCA to 3.5mm cable, and plug it into that port on mixer, then into the line in on your laptop. You should then be able to select that interface in audacity and record through it.

Mainly suggesting this way as it is the standard, + I don't have any experience with that direct USB record (also don't have that equipment with me to do any testing with)

USB soundcards are *generally* better than the inbuilt one on the laptop.

Note you need a LINE in, not a MIC in. Some laptops/soundcards have driver settings to switch the port between the two.

A mic in will amplify the signal too much and it will sound horrible (full of clipping)

USB soundcards are *generally* better than the inbuilt one on the laptop.

Note you need a LINE in, not a MIC in. Some laptops/soundcards have driver settings to switch the port between the two.

A mic in will amplify the signal too much and it will sound horrible (full of clipping)

RIGHT..

Soo.. im not trying to sound like a dudd.. But whats the Line In? I assumed the Line In was the Mic In..

Like I said, I have a USB Sound card which has headphone port and Mic port.. Would this not be usable?

You guys are amazing. I appreciate the help.

Im generally alright when it comes to tech stuff (simply IT qualifications etc) haha. This whole sound production/DJ stuff is really throwing me. Lol.

Once again I appreciate it.. I'll give it a shot this evening!

Hi guys,

I have no idea what happened. But I went right back to basics. Plugged ONLY USB1 to my mixer to laptop. Rebooted my laptop, nek minnit. Booyeh, I'm now able to record clear, clarity through Audacity.

I have recorded a mix for 17 minutes, before stupidly ejecting the wrong CDJ, ha!

I'll work on stuff, and I'll throw up a mix.

Cheers for all your help!!

Hi guys,

I have no idea what happened. But I went right back to basics. Plugged ONLY USB1 to my mixer to laptop. Rebooted my laptop, nek minnit. Booyeh, I'm now able to record clear, clarity through Audacity.

I have recorded a mix for 17 minutes, before stupidly ejecting the wrong CDJ, ha!

I'll work on stuff, and I'll throw up a mix.

Cheers for all your help!!

Did you restart your computer at all after plugging in the USB cables? I Find a lot that this helps things, sometimes the driver installations need to configure something on start up (which of course require a reboot). Perhaps this was all that was needed all along!

Glad we could provide some help and assist in getting this sorted for you man. Looking forward to your mix!

Haha, I remember playing out once I was that nervous I hit the eject button on the playing CDJ - Luckily they were CDJ1000's with the eject lock on, fkn woulda axed myself.

BeatleSS: haha yeah, its mega frustrating that with IT qualifications, the amount of 'man hours' and beers had in frustration, asking a good friend of mine about the config (dj of four years), was VERY close to selling my mixer to look into maybe a DJM350 or something with recording capability.

Just to restart my laptop, plug in USB only.. BOOM 'Line In', record with Aud' and see a waveform appear. I nearly had a heart attack.

When I get more confidence and structure, I will definatey record a mix. I have a structure of songs I want to bounce between.. Just need to get the phases/intro's/outtro's setup correctly.. and BEATMATCH haha.. My DJ will be shitty at me for not beatmatching lol.