mixer help - a&h 23 vs rane 56s vs sixty two

shamrock

hello.

i'd like to get your experience and opinion on board. i'm quite keen pursue DJing and want to purchase some equipment (2nd hand mainly). in my topic i realise i've put a wide range of mixers from quite affordable to not so. it would be for home use only, so mobility is not an issue.

i predominantly want to mix, but do not want to exclude scratching. i was thinking serato SL2 plus allen heath 23 or rane 56s. so my first question is - is the rane56s any good for pure mixing? i've read allen heath has great sound, generally considered great for mixing, but may not be meant for scratching. the 56s on the other hand is a solid product with scratch capabilities, but in terms of mixing, i'm not entirely sure where i stand.

so this brings me to the final question - the rane sixty two (or sixty one). i realise the price bracket is not even comparable. but it seems it's got everything in it from built in soundcard, a great mixer overall and midi functionality. is it really worth it for a beginner? i'm just thinking of putting down money now, so it will last me 'forever'. (i did think about the rane 57sl, but it's been discontinued...).

cost of SL2 and AH23 or 56s is approx $1000 (2nd hand) and add another 100-200 for midi pads (novation dicer etc). whereas, if i got a sixty two ( approx rrp $2000) second hand it could be around the 1500 mark if i'm lucky?

your opinions would be valued. thank you

sk

When I went to the us about 5 years ago I got a Rane TTM 57 sl for $1200 ...that was $600 off what I would pay over in OZ

I now use a sl2 and a Denon x600 midi mixer ,because when I work in the clubs it was a pane in ass to unplug the clubs mixer and plug in the TTM 57 sl just so I can use serato ...it's a lot easier with a audio interface / hub to setup than a mixer

Why don't you look at the new A&H 23 c ....it has a audio / midi interface in the mixer for time code vinyl and comes with Mixvibes Le DVS

Put a innofader mini to it ....be dope for scratching and I have always loved the sound off A&H mixer.......at $ 650 with innofader you would not get a old ttm57 sl for that price let alone a new TTM 61 or TTM 62

thanks for your input. i have toyed with the idea of the innofader on the ah23/c, though the thought of installation puts me off hehe . i want to use serato though, and i don't think the 23c is compatible with serato (out of the box).

the sound on AH supposed to be great. is the build quality good? last me years? heard there were a few issues with the xone 22...?

For scratching the rane would be my choice, sixty two is my dream mixer! But as stated any mixer that can take an innofader will be fine if you really get into scratching. Installation is very simple ive fitted a few now with no trouble.