Mashup Help!

Boss101

Hey guys!

I've started a new mash-up tonight. Certain parts of it are sounding pretty good I think. What are techniques you guys use to make it sound unique from the original?

I have added some vocal cuts which are sounding nice. A few switched bars, simple effects.

What are some technique to make a nice, smooth transition aswell? Rather than just moving straight from one to the other which is sounding terrible.

Thanks guys!

I really want to hit production hard on my days off work so any help is much appreciated! :D

what are you calling a mashup. two tracks and putting them together (previously called blends in a mix).

or do you mean mashup in the old school sense where your mixing style meant the use of multiple genres that are very wide in range.

seeing as there are not many if us in the 40 club i was assuming you meant putting two tracks together. but then you mentioned transition......

anyway maybe clarify and peeps can help

I mean putting 2 or more tracks into a single track. But adding to the track using effects and other cool things.

I meant a transition like a quick switch from one track to the other without it sounding shit.

Both tracks are in the same key and same BPM.

ive been working on a few recently. honestly depends on what your making the mashup for imo

if its for a bunch of drunk bitches, as long as you go smoothly (where that be a straight vocal cut/switch in time or white noise build /snare roll watevs) from one vocal hook to another your normally fine. with these things, especially given all the commercial remixes i now have in my collection ive found the the best ones done deviate too much from the original style of the song (ie dont warp vocals way faster/slower than original) but still sound different. if your an electro guy simply adding a dirty drop in between choruses can be all you have to do. whack over a progressive synth, 4 to the floor kick, bounce bassline and some other percussive element and your set. trust me ive played alot of tracks that have gone down really well that im positive were done in a single night as they're basic. KISS principles. your remixing/mashuping because that shit is popular. it s popular because people know the tune. if you make it hard for people to follow allow/get too fancy. it becomes too hard to like it and/or to hard for other dj's to play it out. (trust me i dont play a handful of absolutely epic mashups in my sets because the producer has made the track too complicated and difficult too mix in). nothing i hate more than an epic song i cant play because some retard producer has made an electro track, with a fucking trap buildup, that has a moobah drop before a progressive breakdown with the vocal. if its too hard to use you loose half your market

It's mainly just to get my skills up and learn how to better myself producer wise.

I don't think I'm capable of making a whole track yet so I want to start at mash-ups, then move onto bootlegs then start trying my own stuff.

Thanks for the advice!!