Built-in screen capture for Mac

LabRat

So i've just noticed that you can record your screen flow with QuickTime.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it records workflow with sound. i wanna record how i produce my tracks, and answer questions and all that over live stream. heaps of people are doing it with other software and what not but i wanna try this QuickTime thing out to see if it's worth getting into.

has anyone tried it?

• 2 weeks later...
Does Quicktime do the live streaming part though?

Nah I was hoping id be able to somehow "plug-in" to something like YouTube

You can Use google hangout (I think that's What it's called) to stream to YouTube, but the free stream isn't very good quality so you wouldn't be able to read the screen properly

The QuickTime one seems to work ok. Just need to figure out sound. I might be able to be a bit shifty and run a lead from my input on my soundcard and send it straight back into it. It sounds like it'll work but not sure if it will. My mate has told me about live stream. He reckons it's free and pretty good but I can't see a few option

What I do:

1) Open up Quicktime

2) Hit "File">"New Screen Recording"

3) Hit "File>"New Sound Recording"

4) Click the big red button around the same time.

5) When done, save somewhere accessible and open up a video editing software. iMovie is good but it adds pillars on the side so it's kind of annoying.

6) Sync the video and audio together.

If you're gonna do this, I recommend doing a sync test during pre recording to make your life better during editing. This method is okay but Quicktime constantly drops frames so audio and video will be off sync after 7 to 10 mins.

Personally, I recommend Screenflow. Quite cheap (30USD), great recording software. Records computer audio and external audio real well and even records each files (video recording, computer audio and mic recording) individually into it's own video editor for precise editing. I've used this for a bit and I'm quite happy with the outcome.

Oh, you want to live stream. Yeah Screenflow is software but it doesn't have live stream capabilities. I'm not an expert on Livestreaming tbh but there are tons of tutorials online on how to do it for free.

The only other option is to fork out some cash and getting "Wirecast"

I,m with McCh0wi …I use Screenflow for all my video mix's recording( screen capture )….and final cut pro for video edits….and stream to the web using twitch.tv & livestream with my vestax pbs4

audio /video USB web-streamer

I use my mac running video dj software…and plug the HDMI cable from my mac to the pbs4 …the vestax pbs4 is plugged to my P.C laptop …the laptop is hooked to the internet by a long cat-5 cable ..( don't go WIFI ),.I stream from my p.c and the p.c is also running DMX lighting software