Mixing RnB and/or Trap

Trennaa

I posted this last night as a general comment, but actually want some realistic feedback.

I'm used to mixing with the Melbourne Bounce genre - where every 15/30 seconds (4-8 bars or so) there's generally a beat change.

Im wanting to mix things up a bit with a mixtape, and LIVE mix (not pre-plan everything in FL/Ableton), and even for live sets play around with some rnb or trap.

I need some tips and feedback.. im not great with scratching, so at this stage, scratching in a new track wouldn't necessarily work..

Scratching in a track would be ok for rnb but maybe not so much trap, 1 thing to take note of is with trap it skips a beat like dubstep or drumstep, so if you're mixing bounce where the track goes kick snare kick snare, the trap kick will be the same as the bounce tracks 1st kick, but the snare of the trap song will be on the 2nd snare of the bounce track (providing you have the tempo of both tracks the same)

Usually with mixing RnB I will loop a section of the song which is predominantly lower end, and then basically swap lower end between 2 songs, so that you have the lyrics continuing over a new beat. Then, depending on the track, either release the loop and loop or add effects to the lyrics, or use a different cue point to restart new track where I want it… if that makes sense.

Usually with mixing RnB I will loop a section of the song which is predominantly lower end, and then basically swap lower end between 2 songs, so that you have the lyrics continuing over a new beat. Then, depending on the track, either release the loop and loop or add effects to the lyrics, or use a different cue point to restart new track where I want it… if that makes sense.

This

Also the crossfader is your friend

Try to practice grabbing the first kick of the track you are bringing in and scratching it back and forth in time with the beat of the song playing, when you get that sussed try dropping that kick at the same time as the first kick of the track playing, soon you will be scratchdropping tracks with ease!