Buying a production Keyboard

AlexJ

Ok so ive been looking to do a slight upgrade on my studio keyboard for a while now (from a korg microkey) which is great for me to use on the go and dont mind occasionally setting up with the live club rig. However i feel now that im starting to do alot more producing i need a much larger (at least full size keyed-semi weighted etc) keyboard so i can achaly play some shit

looked around abit and came across the alesis vi61. on the surface its a very sleek looking midi keyboard, has some pads, nobs, faders et which really extend the feature set it offers me in the studio. Dig alittle deeper and find out that it automaps to LIVE and massive (super big plus) as well as being semi weighted. Found one at my local and had a bit of a play, quite like the way it feels (not as nice as say a more upmarket roland midi keyboard but leaps and bounds in front of the normal midi keyboard plastic, even things like the mpk)

I quite like the look, feel and feature set of it and the 61 key version (which is probably what im after really) comes in at 480 from store dj which is within my budget for said keyboard.

Just wanted to gauge some thoughts on the whole thing from you all. have any other significant recommendations for under $500?

must be 61 keys, must be semi (or full if you can find it) weighted, must have some pads/nobs/adjustable button assignment options and must not look like shite.

on another note, i might have a mate willing to sell me a trigger finger pro on the cheap (~300 when is 500 new) i might be alittle exited. even though its probably unnecessary for my setup.

There were a couple threads late last year on this. From those I picked up the Novation Launchkey 61, same as Gandy and some others I thought. Sure I picked it up a bit cheaper than the one you mentioned but can't be 100% sure right now. Unfortunately I've yet to actually use it. Still not completely set up in this new place.