Beginner, need some controller advice

kashida

Hey guys

Just getting into mixing, looking at getting a low-mid range controller to learn on.

Interested in trying out a bit of everything, from making beats to mixing tracks and scratching.
My friend strongly suggested pioneer, and I've been looking at the DDJ SB as there are a lot of local second hand ones going on gumtree for around $200-$220.
I know that there's also the SB2 which does just look strictly better, but I'd have to buy one new for $400.

Would the SB be a decent first controller? How quickly would I hit a barrier and need to upgrade?
Would love some other suggestions too, only been researching this for a few weeks now.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend used gear at a decent price - gives you the freedom to muck about on it for a while, and if you decide it's not your thing, you can resell without losing much if anything. The SB would be a pretty good bit of kit for about that price, has all the basics + a few bells and whistles to get you going as a beginner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I may wade into this discussion ...

I've bought a lot of gear from Sweetwater in the past. HIGHLY recommend checking them out. The SB2 is going for an excellent new price if thats what you want. For mixing and skratching, if you could find a good secondhand Numark NS7 mk 1 you'd be in controller heaven. Vinyl tops make them perfect for skratching and they're an excellent starting point - two decks and a mixer. A very robust and impressive unit too.

I disagree with the CDJs comment. I'm not as experienced a DJ as a lot of people here, and if you want to play clubs at any cost well they'd be good. Still the controller market in particular is coming of age now and there's lots of good stuff out there.