Turntable...what brands are proven nowadays?

Doddy

Hi guys, 

sorry I'm spamming this forum, but wanted to get a general consensus on decent vinyl turntable brands. I know of vestax and technics, and have used both before and these are my go to.

But I wanted to check, as I have not mixed in a fair while, if there are any other proven manufacturers that I should be looking at. These will be used for home use, and the occasional outing, and will comprising of mixing (both missus and I) and probably a fair amount of scratching and juggling (me more so). Battle mode ftw!

I plan on using what we have now to get back into form and go back through the learning curve so to speak but I will be looking at upgrading in say 6 months or so if all goes to plan.

any suggestions, stories and experiences will be awesome of what is good nowadays. 

I will be looking to get onto dvs with this upgrade so I will also start converting our vinyl to digital format after a practice each day - that's the goal anyways. And I have a seperate TT for that.

Thanks in advance,

I don't think there's anything new out there apart from the pioneer but don't know too much about them now. I have Stanton st180's and they're proper the best out there. People can rave about the technics but I stand by the Stanton TT's :) they got more torque and track really nicely 

Thanks lab I will take a look at the stantons, I figure if there is a proven TT that puts up with that kind of abuse for 1/2 the price of the others then they are worth it.

Definately Cupe, I was originally using the shure m447s and then switched up the the ortofons pro s from memory. Like the ortofons more because it easier to mark records and can tell if lil dust bunnies have gathered on the tip :thumleft:

I have still got the original geminis that has gone through the missus and I learning curve, and still spin fine. Only issue is 1 TT, the motor is kinda waving, hence my sig. It's not really an issue but you constantly have to nudge it to keep it up to speed with the other. Direct drive of course.

But I bought them in 2002 or something. Like many years ago lol :P

Haha wow those gemi's! i doubt anyone is making belt driven turntables these days so you should be good there. i've played with the pioneers but i still love the stanton TT's. the pioneers aren't too shabby so may be worth a play. not sure what the price difference is between those and the stantons though

22 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Haha wow those gemi's! i doubt anyone is making belt driven turntables these days so you should be good there. i've played with the pioneers but i still love the stanton TT's. the pioneers aren't too shabby so may be worth a play. not sure what the price difference is between those and the stantons though

Haha yeah I'm kinda in disbelief, but to be fair they did get solid use for at least 5 of those years, then maybe once a week/fortnight use for another 5 then way less after that when life got hectic. 

But great little units for learning on and trust me, they got abused....in the good way 8O

i can't recall how many sets of needles/styli? I went through. I'm pretty sure I still have the little plastic cases somewhere cos I thought they were super cool!

Guess I just need to check costs and pro/con them. Tbh if I play for the next 6 months, then I'm happy to fork out the coin, as they will get used more with serato as well. But if I only play like 1 month worth in that time I would be leaning towards the cheaper option

3 hours ago, Doddy said:

Haha yeah I'm kinda in disbelief, but to be fair they did get solid use for at least 5 of those years, then maybe once a week/fortnight use for another 5 then way less after that when life got hectic. 

But great little units for learning on and trust me, they got abused....in the good way 8O

i can't recall how many sets of needles/styli? I went through. I'm pretty sure I still have the little plastic cases somewhere cos I thought they were super cool!

Guess I just need to check costs and pro/con them. Tbh if I play for the next 6 months, then I'm happy to fork out the coin, as they will get used more with serato as well. But if I only play like 1 month worth in that time I would be leaning towards the cheaper option

Resell on higher end turntables is usually pretty good - technics especially, scrounge around and you can pick up a couple cheap enough you could make a profit selling them on. 

10 hours ago, Scottie said:

Resell on higher end turntables is usually pretty good - technics especially, scrounge around and you can pick up a couple cheap enough you could make a profit selling them on. 

Yeah I agree, it would provide some piece of mind if the time came to part ways, I could almost recover the costs.

Might just keep eye out and wait for some 18yr old to give up and sell a setup at decent price. Just wait and swoop in when I have the chance, not to lowball but not get ripped off either ;)

16 hours ago, wazza said:

Reloop Rp 7000. ...

Hi Wazza, thanks for the suggestion, im just taking a look at them now and checking out some reviews. Not sure what I will be going for but this definately helps in narrowing down a few possible solutions. Then to actually test/play and 'feel' the difference and decide.

Thanks again, really looks the goods!

I had a set of Technic SL-1200MK2 that I had to get rid of before leaving Sydney years ago. Honestly, the Technic decks are by far the best in the industry. Reliable, easy to service yourself with regularly available parts and just an all-round quality bit of gear. I think they're up to MK5, but I haven't looked at vinyl in years.

If you want to test the Rp 7000 ....come down to the Gold Coast ....and have a scratch with me and my boys 

Iv got a vestax PDX 2000 mk2 and a PDX 3000 mk2 .....a 1200 mk2 a ...and a Rp 8000 ....

i don't use my turntable.... For scratch and serato now ......I use something way better than a TT ..

14 hours ago, wazza said:

If you want to test the Rp 7000 ....come down to the Gold Coast ....and have a scratch with me and my boys 

Iv got a vestax PDX 2000 mk2 and a PDX 3000 mk2 .....a 1200 mk2 a ...and a Rp 8000 ....

i don't use my turntable.... For scratch and serato now ......I use something way better than a TT ..

Hey Wazza,

I might take you up on that. I need to get back on my decks, as I hate the thought of being too heavy handed and just basically hella bad, spinning on someone elses equipment - heaven forbid break something (which I would feel obliged to pay for), but if your still open to this invitation in a few months I wouldn't say no.

Let me get some practice in and will message you to organise a time that suits in the upcoming few months.

Thank you....also quite a collection of toys you have ;)