Ableton and Sylenth, how to?

Cupe

Lol basics is best. Start by hitting up YouTube and looking at ablation for beginners. There's gonna be heaps of videos explaining the basic functions. You can do the same for sylenth. There's a lot of videos on sound design and how it functions. Just a matter of spending some time on it 

I would say me but I'm too humble ;) 

I'd say a good majority of them will be fine, especially the ones with heaps of views. Dubspot and Point Blank Music are probably the 2 I would look at for good, detailed intros to Live. I don't think there's anything around which explains Sylenth is great detail. A lot would just be design tutorials. It's hard to find videos where people explain everything they do but I'm sure there would be some around.

33 minutes ago, Cupe said:

The old search and find aye.

I got your howto clip so I'm gonna watch it soon then have a fuck around

That's what it's about really. There's so much available out there it's just a matter of finding a video you understand and going from there. Can screen share on Skype one day if you want and I can show you around

19 hours ago, LabRat said:

I would say me but I'm too humble ;) 

I'd say a good majority of them will be fine, especially the ones with heaps of views. Dubspot and Point Blank Music are probably the 2 I would look at for good, detailed intros to Live. I don't think there's anything around which explains Sylenth is great detail. A lot would just be design tutorials. It's hard to find videos where people explain everything they do but I'm sure there would be some around.

Hey lab, do you have video tutes on ableton? I wouldn't mind taking a look as well if that's cool?

For me it's a godsend when I find someone who puts together clear, concise information on whatever topic I'm looking for. It's like finding treasure and helps progress/advance so much quicker

I don't have any tutorials in the sense of doing basic stuff but it could be worth doing a few. I have a couple on my YouTube which are only on sampling. 

i thought about doing it but never got around to it. @Cupe might be an idea if you wanna have a tutorials playlist on the ADJF YouTube (if there's one)

38 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Alrighty I'll try get a basics video covered shortly. Anything you guys wanna see in this video? I'll just cover what things do and where to find them, how to load in samples and instruments, etc. just a basic walk through 

For me, personally I don't really know what I don't know type thing. As stated in another thread, I'm fairly new in the production side of things, but I don't expect you to hold our hand and spoon feed. I believe we need to search, learn, experiment and follow along and grow from own research and doing.

What I would find helpful would be key things that someone producing should know. For example:

1. samples - what to look for, how to cut and load them up. I have a basic understanding and have done some before but then if I use that sample, it makes the track sound odd because the drums or bassline sounds totally different.
  2. music theory and what goes with what - kinda like chord progression or even 'how to make that A note sound fuller by adding in A, C#, E'. Otherwise key words that one can google to learn about.
  3. All things VST and plugins - I know I have massive and a few other plug ins but have no idea how, why or where to use them. Again not a full tutorial but enough guidance where we can google key concepts and learn more.
  4. Workflow - my experience was from watching Tom Cosm build a song, and he builds the sounds and  fleshes out the middle/busiest part of the track and the works backwards to intro. Does everyone do it this way or do others start at the beginning and just make it up as they go? Plus I learned more doing this, following along and tweaking to make it different that it all started to kinda gel together.

These are just a few things from my pov, I'm sure others have other ideas. What I think is more useful would be to skim over the really important stuff but noting to go research more on 'blah and blah'. This would provide guidance in how all the magic happens. 

I know so much time and effort is required for this, so please don't feel like you have to do this. I would be just as great full with a dot point of things to do or common things that make up a track that I can YouTube and find answers to.

Also if there are any links or URLs to something cool showing you how to do a particular thing. 

Sorry for the wall of text but thought best to jump on it if someone with your talent was going to go to the effort to do it.

Also I know there are others on here that do a lot on the production side, so their input would be welcome as well. Help a newb out lol

This is perfect, there's a few topics to cover here which is good. It does take time and I do need to rehearse a lesson, as any teacher would need to. I think for the moment, I'll post some intro videos to the Ableton thread so you guys can get started. There isn't much of a point on me doing one because this has been covered many times, even by Ableton themselves. It really isn't hard to jump on YouTube and look for videos. I've had to do it and so have many others. This is not a dig but YouTube is so resourceful now that even a complex search on Google will direct you to exactly what you're looking for. It's just the matter of finding a video that resonates with what you're doing.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the Ableton thread and I'll post links regarding introductions to Live  

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

This is perfect, there's a few topics to cover here which is good. It does take time and I do need to rehearse a lesson, as any teacher would need to. I think for the moment, I'll post some intro videos to the Ableton thread so you guys can get started. There isn't much of a point on me doing one because this has been covered many times, even by Ableton themselves. It really isn't hard to jump on YouTube and look for videos. I've had to do it and so have many others. This is not a dig but YouTube is so resourceful now that even a complex search on Google will direct you to exactly what you're looking for. It's just the matter of finding a video that resonates with what you're doing.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the Ableton thread and I'll post links regarding introductions to Live  

Hey Lab, I totally agree which is why I tried to stress the point of key concepts, but search for them yourself type deal. And no offence taken mate :thumleft:

I was really trying to think of stuff that could be relevant and useful for myself and others. But really it does come back down to 'if there's a will there's a way' and I'm sure someone else out there (worldwide) would have the same questions :) so the info in theory should be out there somewhere.

I think the 'what you don't know' is really the crux of it for me. I just need to spend more time and get more disciplined tbh. 

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

Hey Lab, I totally agree which is why I tried to stress the point of key concepts, but search for them yourself type deal. And no offence taken mate :thumleft:

I was really trying to think of stuff that could be relevant and useful for myself and others. But really it does come back down to 'if there's a will there's a way' and I'm sure someone else out there (worldwide) would have the same questions :) so the info in theory should be out there somewhere.

I think the 'what you don't know' is really the crux of it for me. I just need to spend more time and get more disciplined tbh. 

that's the hardest bit. trying to find something that's relevant to what you want to learn can take time and it helps a lot more if there's someone that can help, which is why i'm happy to try put a few things together for a more specific tutorial :) 

1 hour ago, Cupe said:

Yeah the little tricks for making and doing different sound manipulation is epic. The sylenth one you linked me was fucking good as

the video where i made the texture? that was absynth

14 hours ago, Cupe said:

oh fuck yeah absynth

lol @Bristles I've been producing for a long time. Just now it's not on broken PC speakers with a piece of shit everything

The only good part about being a grown up

haha very true. It feels good to start putting together the set up you want. 

@Bristles From what I gather you have been into the producing side as well, any info or little tricks you do or have that can make it a bit easier for the rest of us?

I think the 'don't expect your first track to be a banger' and 'it takes alot of crap tracks before you make a good track, so get the crap tracks out of the way as soon as possible' mentality definatley rings true.

10 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I think the 'don't expect your first track to be a banger' and 'it takes alot of crap tracks before you make a good track, so get the crap tracks out of the way as soon as possible' mentality definatley rings true.

I see this a bit differently. I use to tell people the same thing, don't expect to write anything fantastic on your first attempt but I've had a change of heart since then. I now find this statement a little bit degrading (no offence of course) in the sense that you're giving advice to people who are really excited and motivated about what they want to do and you have to give them negative advice right off the bat. 

This changed for me when someone showed me a track. It was their first one and they were looking for feedback. Although technically it was a bit messy (as expected), the track was an absolute banger! A bit of rearranging and it could've been well worthy of circulating the club scene. There's people out there who have the creative ability and therefore just require guidance. Some people have the technological know-how but require some creative guidance. I feel now that this is quite an important part in assessing how to give advice. When I have students come in we have a chat for a few minutes and the first question I ask is what are their short term goals. Something that's realistic and achievable with the proper approach. It becomes a small brainstorming session from there and before long we have a baseline to work with. 

I believe that if you have the right attitude your first track can be quite good. These are times when trial and error come in to play and some of these ideas can be really interesting and rewarding. Sure, it's unlikely record labels will look at you and the tracks may not be technically fantastic but the confidence you have of completing your first track should be quite motivating. With anything though, the more experience comes more knowledge and that's all that's really required to improve on your work so in a sense these "shit tracks" can somewhat be true, but I believe no track is a shit track - they're learning tracks where you can reflect and compare old and new skills.

10 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I see this a bit differently. I use to tell people the same thing, don't expect to write anything fantastic on your first attempt but I've had a change of heart since then. I now find this statement a little bit degrading (no offence of course) in the sense that you're giving advice to people who are really excited and motivated about what they want to do and you have to give them negative advice right off the bat. 

This changed for me when someone showed me a track. It was their first one and they were looking for feedback. Although technically it was a bit messy (as expected), the track was an absolute banger! A bit of rearranging and it could've been well worthy of circulating the club scene. There's people out there who have the creative ability and therefore just require guidance. Some people have the technological know-how but require some creative guidance. I feel now that this is quite an important part in assessing how to give advice. When I have students come in we have a chat for a few minutes and the first question I ask is what are their short term goals. Something that's realistic and achievable with the proper approach. It becomes a small brainstorming session from there and before long we have a baseline to work with. 

I believe that if you have the right attitude your first track can be quite good. These are times when trial and error come in to play and some of these ideas can be really interesting and rewarding. Sure, it's unlikely record labels will look at you and the tracks may not be technically fantastic but the confidence you have of completing your first track should be quite motivating. With anything though, the more experience comes more knowledge and that's all that's really required to improve on your work so in a sense these "shit tracks" can somewhat be true, but I believe no track is a shit track - they're learning tracks where you can reflect and compare old and new skills.

This is really uplifting and puts a whole new perspective on learning.

I think I have learned something today :) Of course, I think you have had alot more exposure in this regards, where for me, its me doing the stuff and friends whatever coming over and saying its shit but having no way to advise why its shit, just 'it doesn't sound good'.

And I think the key point as well in confidence in your abilities. We can all drive right, but when its your first few times, technically you can drive but are not confident in doing so (or anything new to you etc) but with familiarisation and repetition, that confidence grows until your doing stuff subconsciously without thinking - changing gears, indicating and lane checking etc. 

But getting that confidence off the bat and some guidance sounds like the best recipe. Thanks Lab

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

This is really uplifting and puts a whole new perspective on learning.

I think I have learned something today :) Of course, I think you have had alot more exposure in this regards, where for me, its me doing the stuff and friends whatever coming over and saying its shit but having no way to advise why its shit, just 'it doesn't sound good'.

And I think the key point as well in confidence in your abilities. We can all drive right, but when its your first few times, technically you can drive but are not confident in doing so (or anything new to you etc) but with familiarisation and repetition, that confidence grows until your doing stuff subconsciously without thinking - changing gears, indicating and lane checking etc. 

But getting that confidence off the bat and some guidance sounds like the best recipe. Thanks Lab

Yeah Lab nailed it there. Don't put pressure or expectation on your work, but don't limit it by thinking it will be shit straight out. 

If I could go back and give my old self tips I guess they would something like;

1. Learn one thing at a time. If you think you need to understand compression or EQ for example - learn it. Don't learn "just enough" to get a little better without getting comfortable with it. Not that you may fully comprehend it straight away but take the time to really get to know each thing you learn.

2. Don't dismiss music theory. I am still catching up on what I wish I learnt years and years ago with this one. Scales and chords will turn a jingle into a piece of music even in "EDM". It will quickly become clear as you make more music that knowing theory takes it to the next level. 

3. Pick one DAW/Synth/Plug-In for what you need and get to know them. Similar to tip 1 but so important. I got so wound up in all the software and gear out there that I wasted the first 2 years of producing by not understanding anything I was working with. "Mastering" a few skills and programs will trump jack of all trades any day.

4. Sound design is awesome but not crucial. You will find your own sound. There is a lot of hype about new sounds and that's awesome but not everyone has to be the next Skrillex. There are artists out there that created something new like Flume and Skrillex (agree or disagree) then there are artists like DeadMau5 that, IMO are so good at what has been 'done' it takes it's own shape. A painter uses the same colours as everyone else but he paints his own picture - just worry about your picture not your paint.

5. Finish as many projects as you can. Possibly the most important for myself! I have tonnes of unfinished work, but every time I finish something I learn at least 2 things. If you don't learn something creative you will learn something technical and vice versa. Theory, structure, FX, mix and then master as much as you can.

6. Find a few people to give you honest feedback, don't spam everyone. Only a few of my friends ever give me real constructive feedback so i've learnt to only ask them (like @LabRat - Thanks man!). It means more and will help you way more than getting people give you half arsed comments like 'I don't like this kind of music but it's cool'.

(The Skrillex, Flume and DeadMau5 points are just the examples I could think of. Some of you may disagree but just my opinion. Don't hate on me ADJF)

Anyway TLDR; keep on keeping on and always ask if you want advice! oh and have FUN!