RhemyD Console Mod *work in progress*

RhemyD

OK for those who don't already no i pride myself as a bit of an electrical technician. I've been soldering since i was about 9 years old and am now studying Electrical Engineering at Adelaide University. I'm also in a prime position because i'm now starting to put together my own rig and equipment. Ideally my setup is going to be as wireless as possible at the end of it (being a mobile and all) achieved through wireless AV transmitters and a whole heap of other stuff. For now this is my console upgrade version two.

(Full document and project will eventually be loaded up at http://mods.rhemydentertainment.com.au/

imgp1648fr2.jpg

(Initial Layout)

- Initial layout consists of a console comprising of equipment 10+ years old (CD rack has manufacture date of Oct 98).

○ American DJ XDM-352 Preamp mixer-

○ American DJ DCD-PRO300 Dual CD Rack

- Panel mount on side of console has two RCA inputs and one RCA master output. In setup "as is" is not useable for a DJ console for my mobile setup.

- For system to become usable will need balanced output in XLR format on right hand side to link to amp or active speakers.

- Unit will also need DAC3 controller installed and USB port placed on side of unit for computer to interface with.

imgp1770eo8.jpg

(Installed XLR and USB)

- Console hardware was removed and wood was removed from the bottom just above the handle as well as the section separating the mixer and CD controller. Additionally wood was removed from above the CD Controller.

- This enabled all the equipment to be moved up excluding the dual CD tray. This created room for the DAC3 controller.

- Balanced output was achieved through XLR MF patch cables with mountable female plugs. Plugs and cable bought from Jaycar.

- Several USB configurations were trialed and tested. Final result used was achieved by mounting A end of AB USB cable onto a piece of stiffened reinforced cardboard screwed onto RHS of box.

imgp1771dq1.jpg

(XLR patch cables made for balanced out)

imgp1741iy0.jpg

(new layout)

So there we have it guys. I'll update as i move closer and closer to my dream setup. Future mods include install of a cooling fan, wireless av transmitters, usb hub and sound cards in the box for my laptop setup that i use, as well as equipment upgrades to save space and weight.

comment :D

Cheers! literally took about a day with the running around getting parts and going to a mates place to use some tools. I've had the idea of this kinda console for a bout a year and done a couple of different drawings including an EPIC FAIL of a console which is way to heavy and awkward to use but hey, that's what trial and error is for. I'm going to add to it as i get funds to do so.

The highlights going to be building or moding my own speaker boxes to include an av transmitter... when i get the funds that is.

im smelling a ADJF fundraising event :P

Smelling an ADJF Fundraiser event???

where'd the images go:(

sounds like a great plan

wish i could solder... i realy such a electrical stuff

thats why i'm building my desk out of timber Razz

Really wish i had greater timber skills then i have atm. :P Never had tech when i was at school. The year i started was the year they got rid of it. the images are still there too :P

imgp1788ul9.jpg

Side before alterations

imgp1789pz0.jpg

the fan to be used. Pulled it from an old P4 computer that was lying outside my dad's shed when i helped him clean up for xmas.

imgp1791ko2.jpg

beta testing! note the active power LED also being installed.

imgp1792qa4.jpg

Seeing how the air flow is inside the box before mounting it to a PCB.

imgp1793yo7.jpg

La finished product

imgp1795mi9.jpg

Also when i installed it onto a PCB after noting that the fan was loud i decided to put a manual control switch it. Idea is that i'll only use it in hot venues!

I also flipped the fan around so that it blew out rather then in. The idea is that i hope to pull the hot air out of the console and pull the outside air through the equipment thus making it cooler. Low inside the console pulls air from the high outside :P

imgp1796hi5.jpg

One step closer to a magnificent console :P

Might insert a vent in the base of the unit if i don't get enough air flow through the equipment.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Older mixer and CD players because it's what i've got lying around/ been given atm and can't afford the funds to upgrade to a CMX3000 rack mounted Pioneer CD players as well as a DJM600 industry standard mixer. Ideally it would be a A+H Zone92 but with a 3 year old and another one on the way i don't see that happening any time soon!

progress!

Ok last week my friend and I put our tools together again and decided to finally get up and do the next stage on the mobile console; Integrating on board computing power!

1000551o.jpg

Console with equipment removed and old fan mod removed (it burned it self out due to a short circuit i had to do as a punter broke the switch!)

1000552h.jpg

640 Watt Power Supply

1000554.jpg

new cooling fan for side

1000558.jpg

Power Supply, HDD and MB mounted in place

1000563y.jpg

New side patch panel, note USB and VGA inputs.

1000564c.jpg

Patch Bay

1000565w.jpg

Working!

1000567bga.jpg

instaling keyboard velcro

1000570q.jpg

Keyboard mounted

Additional to the above photos it now contains an additional secondary hdd and also a wireless network card. ATM its a little slow so i've got some old PC133 SD Ram coming in the post and will boost its RAM to 1.25GB.

Not bad considering we pulled the Computer from an abandond job site when some friends moved in with work! Total cost of upgrade less then $80!

Next project is to mount a screen or additionally put another screen on the front of the console for VJing and Logo/photo displays!

So instead of taking a laptop or tower along to a gig, you have the computer parts all installed inside your box? What a great idea!

I'd build another matching box with 2 flush mount screens for your pooder. One angled upwards on the top so you can control VDJ (touch screen?) and the other on the front for promo purposes or some cool visuals (or both). Inside would be a great place to have an 8 way power board. Have both boxes side by side and pretend you captain Kirk in charge of the starship Enterprise...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Cheers! literally took about a day with the running around getting parts and going to a mates place to use some tools. I've had the idea of this kinda console for a bout a year and done a couple of different drawings including an EPIC FAIL of a console which is way to heavy and awkward to use but hey, that's what trial and error is for. I'm going to add to it as i get funds to do so.

The highlights going to be building or moding my own speaker boxes to include an av transmitter... when i get the funds that is.

I notice that you have an old PCDJ Dac-3 Controller, where can you get one of those? Would you consider selling it, so I can use it with PCDJ-Red Mobile?

If you'd sell it E-mail me at: fukcoffyousluts@live.com.au

• 3 years later...