DJ RhemyD's guide to Going Legit

Cupe

Agree with Chris and Cap.

Could you imagine the industry if the big name producers were not getting paid for the tracks they make? Pretty sure if they were not making some kind of money than they would be just working plain 9-5 jobs. Yes they make music for the love of it but at the end of the day its their job, they need some kind of income to support themselves and families.

We all know its not that easy to throw some beats together and produce a #1 banger, its hard work and they deserve every cent they get.

Give credit where credit is due.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
ok, old thread and i am in another country but i believe most of the copyright rules are getting globalised in some sense so...

a lot of djs post mixes etc on soundcloud and dont think twice about copyright. they get away with it because there is no income and so although they are in breach of law it is not economically viable for record company to bring a court case up. If no money has been earnt how can they collect fines?

personally i am on both sides of the coin: i dont produce as such but i am due royalties for sessions and other input done with bands on album recordings. as these are small bands I am fully aware how little the copyright royalty earns me, and this makes me more adamant that i will pay for music to promote the makers of it to make more. Without income for music we'd all need day jobs too.

i also dj though and its my living so i have ppl, prs and produb license (uk versions of aria etc, especially the produb license which lets me use traktor and other digital files.) I also have liability insurance, eqpt insurance and all my kit has to be properly cased and tested for safety.

I will post re-edits, mixes etc and consider myself advertising my skills along with the original artist, safe in the knowledge that i did pay for the song first, but if i am using a chunk of a tune as a sample on a new record i am releasing for income i sure as hell apply for sample clearance first through the standard routes, thing is: occasionlly the original muso lets you use it free anyway if they like your work.

I'm just thinking alot of that could come under fair use or something similar. Would I be right or is it stricter than that?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up a oldish thread, because I am a mobile DJ would I only need the PPCA as I am not converting CD to MP3 and so on nor am I making mixed tapes to send to clubs?

Also if the venue I am at has a PPCA and all that jazz would I still need one or would I be covered by the venue?

• Cupe unpinned this topic