Hello - a long time in the making

laidbacklush

• 2 months later...

Hello

After waiting over 6 weeks for it to arrive, i finally have my Mixstream Pro.  Love it.

I am completely new to DJing but i'm picking it up fairly quickly in terms of transitions, beat matching etc, counting bars etc. thanks to the Digital DJ Tips tutorials.

I have a question re: starting a music collection from scratch.  I know i can use Beatport and other streaming services, but if i wanted to build a collection of mp3 or FLAC files, where would i start?

Im aware of Soulseek but is it common for people to sell thumbdrives loaded with a particular genre, e.g. old skool, a particular label e.g Strictly Rhythm or a particular DJ?

Cheers

Dan

I use AIFF files (similar to FLAC in that they're both lossless), but MP3 is fine especially if you're not playing on big club/festival systems. MP3 also uses a lot less space.

I get my music off Bandcamp as first preference, as more money gets back to the artist when buying on there. They also don't charge extra for FLAC/AIFF files like many other sites do. I get some other stuff off Traxsource, then Beatport as last resort. Also heaps of free stuff on Soundcloud. I prefer this to Soulseek as they support the artists as opposed to illegal downloads. I personally also prefer to have a smaller collection of songs I like and know well (and therefore can mix better) rather than a huge collection of stuff that I don't know well and might not even like every track that much.

Hi Mitch

Thanks for your response, lots of good info there.

I wasn’t sure even aware of the AIFF format but my Mixstream Pro is able to analyze and play many formats including AIFF. I agree with your thinking on downloading en masse - I’m very targeted in what i download to avoid clogging up my collection with songs i won’t play.

Cheers

Dan

• 6 months later...
On 26/11/2021 at 2:35 AM, laidbacklush said:

Hi,

After a long 10 year wait, 3 kids, a wife and more besides...i now have the means AND the space to invest in a DJ Controller.

I will have a dig around and check the feedback/reviews on one of the controllers Im interested in before putting hand in pocket.  

Cheers, Dan.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello again

6 months since i got my mixer and i reckon I’ve put in well over 100 hours. Was a bit daunting at first but after watching plenty of youtube vids and the excellent Digital DJ Tips tutorial with Phil Morse I’ve got to the point where I’m creating and posting my own mixes on Mixcloud. Feels great to create something and share with mates, a long time ambition realised.

Cheers

Dan

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2022 at 7:21 PM, laidbacklush said:

Hello again

6 months since i got my mixer and i reckon I’ve put in well over 100 hours. Was a bit daunting at first but after watching plenty of youtube vids and the excellent Digital DJ Tips tutorial with Phil Morse I’ve got to the point where I’m creating and posting my own mixes on Mixcloud. Feels great to create something and share with mates, a long time ambition realised.

Cheers

Dan

Sounds like you're enjoying it which is awesome