Portable Hard Drive

tramonte

Ok guys I got a question for you all,

I recently got a new macbook and serato and I am looking to purchase an external harddrive (actually 2 one for home/one for out).

I am looking at this one in particular and would like to see if you guys think it is good:

http://ht.com.au/N/Storage-Disk-Storage ... detail.hts

Specs

Device Type Hard drive-external

Width5.4 cm

Depth13.7 cm

Height16.6 cm

Weight1.15 kg

Hard Drive

Capacity 1 TBInterface

Type Hi-Speed USB

Buffer Size 16 MB

Performance

Interface Transfer Rate 480 Mbps

Expansion / Connectivity

Interfaces1 x Hi-Speed USB - mini-USB Type B

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support 3 years warranty

Service & Support DetailsLimited warranty - 3 years

Environmental Parameters

Min Operating Temperature 5 °C

Max Operating Temperature 35 °C

This would be the home one, the other one I'm looking at is pretty much the same, just a 320GB.

Cheers.

I had that exact drive.

It died and i lost everything

They have some fucked up powersaver shit so they start up and slow down and spin up and turn off and shit like that.

They're terrible for if you're going to be accessing files off them all the time - especially music.

with the price of drives these days, I'd recommend buying two of whatever you get, just in case.

I keep two hard drives, plus the burnt cd's of all my tracks.

Also have ripped to flac all my cd albums, I'd hate to have to go and rip everything again, and even if places like beatport let me re-download, that'd be a major hassle for several hundred tracks.

Extra 150 for a spare 500Gb drive seems a small price for the insurance.

good point,

I've done a bit of looking around on the net today and people have been recommending

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/82480/HARD_ ... 01314A.asp

LaCie Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton

750GB Black Hard Disk - 3.5" 7200rpm HDD

Features:

- USB2.0/FW/eSATA

- Smart fanless cooling system

- Plug & Play on Mac & PC

- 1-click back-up software & LSA

- 7200rpm, 10ms

and I was also looking at this

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/80181/HARD_ ... 305-RK.asp

Pay day on Monday so I'll decide then.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick one - using it for djing at home then I say get something worth while

using a computer in your djing work in Australia

all I will say is get caught for Copyright then dont say you wasnt told that its illegal PERIOD

so dont come crying when you go to jail or they take all your gear away for piracy

(oh I am also mixed up with the PPCA, Apra, and other copyright related companies and will report Dj's that are illegal and break the law)

I can not stress enough that you need 2 hard drives back yo shit up after you download your new track copy it and back it up the last thing you need is for you to get a few gigs and you loose all your tunes plus its allways good to have a "work" drive and a home drive

ive had a harddrive crash on my while i was screwing round with serato nyte before a gig not the best feeling in the world lol

DJ Dennis what happens if you download a tune from a blog site is that legal?

in Australia ANYTHING that a Dj uses via mp3 is ILLEGAL period

you read the itunes site and it states

"NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE"

so what is djing its a job its Commercial a Business and where you work is also a business

dont worry its when you get CAUGHT then you will eat humble pie and say yes I know you told me so...

if you need a full list of reports then I have details I will post real soon

tramonte

no worries just the mipi are on the move again!

bloggers has a good idea - used it once here didnt perform to whats needed

you can also go here and see about grabing one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3x-SATA-HDD-RAID ... dZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Removable-SATA-H ... dZViewItem

then you can hot swap what you need

when your dealing in computer parts etc you can find a lot of things better to use

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Dj Dennis... if your tied up with all these companies then maybe you should go talk to your boss and find out what the real laws are. I've been in correspondence with PPCA and ARIA regarding mobile DJing using computers and they have licenses for this!

I Smell a Conspiracy Theoriest!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ended up buying a seagate 500gb harddrive, only stays at home as a back up for my files that are on my macbook

works well, and got it pretty cheap ($110 i think).

I still keep most of my music on my macbook anyway (only starting to build a digital collection with a fair bit of vinyl still around)

• 8 months later...

I am currently using a 1TB External hard drive, with no problems at all, Using a Windows Vista Laptop as my interface and iTunes to get the tracks and a common interface with my iPhone.

All Good

iTunes & iPhone are copyright to Apple Corp. and used in this case a part of a discussion and not for promotion of said products.

I am currently using a 1TB External hard drive, with no problems at all, Using a Windows Vista Laptop as my interface and iTunes to get the tracks and a common interface with my iPhone.

All Good

iTunes & iPhone are copyright to Apple Corp. and used in this case a part of a discussion and not for promotion of said products.

WTF? Is that you Dennis?