My Kontrol X1 mini review

lloydc

due to a request, and these things being so damn popular that you have to order one months in advance I thought I would offer my thoughts on this 'Kontroller' :)

First of all, I ordered this thing based on it's reputation only, from the good people at spank records in sydney. It took quite a while for stock to arrive in Australia due to NI not keeping up with demand. It set me back around $300 delivered.

Upon opening the box you find:

- the controller itself

- a USB cable which is nice and long

- CD with drivers and traktor LE, and I think Kore or something too?

- a double sided over lay- one side for serato and the other is ready to be labeled for your own mapping

- Quick start guide

- $10 beatport voucher

My first impressions of the controller had exceeded my expectations. I'd read a number of things on the net about these and found ZERO bad reviews, so I was expecting good things.

The build quality of these units are fantastic, they look and feel like they are made to take a beating and while i'm not willing to do any drop tests, I have every bit of confidence that they would hold up.

The buttons and knobs are all quality, as are the push button rotary encoders.

Because I was so eager to have a play with this new toy, I installed traktor on my work pc, and plugged in the X1.

Everything lights up while it initializes which takes all of 2 seconds. You are then asked by traktor if you would like to use the X1's default settings for the effects sections. I opted for yes, and got on with it, trying to mix and play around with the traktor demo songs.

I'm not going to go through all the functions of the X1, as most are fairly straight forward. What I will say is that looping is a breeze, all you have to do is turn the knob and select the length of your loop (4/8/16 etc) and push the same knob in. EASY

Browsing your play list is easy too, hold the shift button and press the browse/ load knob on either side. This goes into search mode, so you have a full screen of all the tracks in your play list/s. Turn the corresponding knob to select your track and press it in. your track is now loaded and all you have to do is hold the shift button and press the browse/load button to go back to your regular traktor view.

Hot cues are a similar affair:

Press the hot cue button and any hot cues that have been set will light up in white. Hot cues can also be created with the X1.... choose your hot cue point and assign it to buttons 1-8. EASY

Just remember to turn hot cue mode off before you want press play for your next song, otherwise you have a new hot cue point in bank 4, and no song playing :)

effects are as easy as pressing the "on" button and turning the dry/wet knob. There are short cuts to delay, reverb and filter and you can cycle through the rest by holding shift and pressing the ON button.

For those concerned, I should mention that there is pitch bend and also pitch +/-

This might seem like a lot to remember with all the "shift + ...." functions, but really it's not. EVERYTHING is labeled.

IN CONCLUSION....... BUY ONE

I will try to add some videos to this thread to explain a bit better what i'm actually on about.

If you've got questions, post em here.

• 5 weeks later...