Hey! can you guys please give me some tips on my mix?

ezze

Hi everyone! as my first post here i can't think of a better way then to post my second ever mix :D Please tell me what you think and how i can improve, just don't be too nasty...

I need to be good enough to be able to work part time as a Dj in clubs in Brisbane next year. I'm moving to study at college there and i thought that Djing could be a prime part time job while i study as i wouldn't mind really late nights and i love rocking it out in my bedroom :P

Anyway, if you guys could let me know where i'm at with my skills and what i would need to improve on before i get my first gigs that would be brilliant, thanks!

my soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-ezze

P.S. i'm uploading my latest mix as I'm typing this, has 2 hours left

had a listen, mainly flicked through to the parts where you were mixing.

you need to tighten up your beatmatching, it's definately not tight enough. The average punter prob wouldn't pick it, but you'll find most people on here will agree.

Keep an eye on your levels, some things were too loud where you brought in the new song.

after that i would concentrate on EQing, especially in some parts where highs seemed to clash a little.

It seemed in parts you were mixing intro to outro, which in my opinion, caused a loss of energy in your mix. Maybe read up about phrasing.

All that said, if that was only your second mix you're doing very well.

you've heard it before and you'll hear it 100000 times. just practice :)

had a listen, mainly flicked through to the parts where you were mixing.

you need to tighten up your beatmatching, it's definately not tight enough. The average punter prob wouldn't pick it, but you'll find most people on here will agree.

Keep an eye on your levels, some things were too loud where you brought in the new song.

after that i would concentrate on EQing, especially in some parts where highs seemed to clash a little.

It seemed in parts you were mixing intro to outro, which in my opinion, caused a loss of energy in your mix. Maybe read up about phrasing.

All that said, if that was only your second mix you're doing very well.

you've heard it before and you'll hear it 100000 times. just practice :)

Thanks for the feedback :D wow, haha you're probably going to absolutely hate the mix im uploading now... but yeah, i'll start to tighten things up a bit, this is my second ever mix after learning to beatmatch, i was just previously playing with sync buttons :S also would you have any links to information about "phrasing" cheers

ok, rad, i shall have a little search, one more thing, do you know if I'm allowed to Dj in clubs when I'm 17, or do i have to wait till I'm 18?

not 100% but I'm pretty sure you can't dj in clubs because your underage.. You can try but haha start off with pubs and what not something small before a club .. House parties etc.

ok, rad, i shall have a little search, one more thing, do you know if I'm allowed to Dj in clubs when I'm 17, or do i have to wait till I'm 18?

i read somewhere not that long ago that tyDi dj'd in clubs when he was underage but he had to leave straight after the set, so i guess it is possible. but by the time your club material you will prob be 18 anyway :)

yes law - if you get caught where there is alcohol being served they wouldnt allow you

you wouldnt have no hope being underage in a club

its thier licence that is on the line...

so I would wait till your 18 because it only has to happen once and that goes on your perm record for life! and trying to do things later wont go to well for you

stay with practice first till you can do it with your eyes closed

and another good hint on learning is try and get to use turntables as that is far better in learning beatmixing than computers or CDs

and learning the old way with vinyl (7"and 12" singles) then you would blow away any competition you come up against..... dont believe me try it and see!

yes law - if you get caught where there is alcohol being served they wouldnt allow you

you wouldnt have no hope being underage in a club

its thier licence that is on the line...

so I would wait till your 18 because it only has to happen once and that goes on your perm record for life! and trying to do things later wont go to well for you

stay with practice first till you can do it with your eyes closed

and another good hint on learning is try and get to use turntables as that is far better in learning beatmixing than computers or CDs

and learning the old way with vinyl (7"and 12" singles) then you would blow away any competition you come up against..... dont believe me try it and see!

im using a vestax vci 100 with traktor pro at the moment as uni is very expensive and i can't afford to buy timecoded vinyls and a soundcard/mixer & turntables, i was going to try to get some gigs to save up for cdj 900's but would vinyl be better to get into?

Dennis, according to RSA, you can be in a licensed venue if you are in the company of a legal guardian. This would of course be weighted by whether its necessary as well.

But if he brought his Dad/Mum along and of course didn't drink, he'd be able to. But that would just be so incredibly lame, its not even worth considering lol

BAhaha! imagine taking my mother into a club to supervise me while I dj.... that's not happening.... hey CBG and cupe, did you guys listen to my mixes? any feedback? I know the mashup will be terrible, but i thought my second mix was pretty clean :D although lloydc said i have to watch my high EQ's conflicting and watch my phrasing (so is phrasing like your general 16 bar intro, maybe a bridge, then verse 1 and just knowing where to drop then next songs in?)

Thanks for all this info guys! this site rocks!

Phrasing is basically the structure of the song.

Think in 4s. 4 beats to a bar, 4 bars to a phrase. Phrases ussually come in twos.

For example-

Intro= 8 phrases= 32bars

Mini-break= 2 phrases= 8 bars

Main= 8 - 32bars

Breakdown= 4 - 16 bars

Main= 4- 16 bars

Outro= 8 - 32 bars

I'll try and listen man, bit busy atm still.

ok thanks, ill start concentrating on my timing :D and thanks for all the info, if you guys are busy then don't worry about it hey

ohh and on the topic of picking up chicks while djing, the only chicks i've ever had come hit on me were some drunk ones my age that nearly jumped into my pants haha and this like 30-40 year old cougar that i couldn't get rid of...