Wireless router

FabDJ

Had the wireless router in what I though was the best location, on top of a filing cabinet as high as it could be in the home office.

Upstairs had a consistent signal showing signal strengh very low.

Repainting the office and threw the router under a shelf below a metal filing cabinet as I was moving furniture.

Now have status on signal meter as good.

Doesn't make sense somehow.

Edit: Attached image

image of horizontal beam: http://www.liveport.ca/images/stories// ... ave_02.jpg

Very odd.

Metal in fact wont act like an antenna (unlike FM radio etc). it will actually holt its signal in its tracks.

The position of the antennas themselves will actually play a big part... eg.. When an antenna is Verital (striaght up and down in normal positon), you will have best signal on that same floor. If you want good signal upstairs above the router, you can actually move the antenna into the horizontal position (on its side). Wireless signals run in a horizintal position to the antenna.

It can also depend on what your internal walls are made of... Brick? Metal? wood beams.. etc...

Changing the wireless Channel can give you the most dramatic change in results.

If theres anything I can help with, feel free to reply! :)

Had the wireless router in what I though was the best location, on top of a filing cabinet as high as it could be in the home office.

Upstairs had a consistent signal showing signal strengh very low.

Repainting the office and threw the router under a shelf below a metal filing cabinet as I was moving furniture.

Now have status on signal meter as good.

Doesn't make sense somehow.

Thanks Raptor

That might be it.

Aerial was always staight up in timber framed house and the bedroom laptop location is app 45 degrees above and to the side of the router

app 8m away. Aerial is now bent from moving it and might, by accident, be in the best line of radiation transmission to the laptop receiver as per your diagram.

You learn something everyday.

Thanks again.

Well I've put the router back near the wall and facing the upstairs and its gone back to low signal.

Fucken durrr router, I"m not putting it on the floor in the middle of the room so the laptop says good signal, so puter, live with it.

Still works, so no loss.

Fab did you see if you can get the anntena's that I show above

most computer stores should have them and range from $20 to $50 - plus you can put the antenna up HIGH so it gets out and the router on the floor!

if you need some locations just yell - i'll see whats there

works for me

Thanks Guy's

I don't notice any difference between good signal strength and low signal strength.

Is there any.?

Would make improvements but we are moving soon and next house will be smaller and one level

Just goof around on the laptop upstairs and do serious stuff with laptop downstairs near the rooter (Signal strengh excellent) so might leave it for now.

so long as you get a signal you shouldn't have a difference in speed, it's either working or not.

what you might notice is the low strength signal drops out more as it gets interfered with. eg someone walking past might be enough to disrupt a really low signal

Thanks Guy's

I don't notice any difference between good signal strength and low signal strength.

Is there any.?

Would make improvements but we are moving soon and next house will be smaller and one level

Just goof around on the laptop upstairs and do serious stuff with laptop downstairs near the rooter (Signal strengh excellent) so might leave it for now.

Hey Fab,

Yeah you will find that a sustained file transfer (large file) *can* be alot slower. You may also experience packet loss... you will notice that if you got to a website and find that it never loads or never fully loads, and you find yourself often reaching for the refresh button of your browser.

Changing your wireless Channel will often fix that, but if you are moving, no point tuning your chanel as your next place may work perfect on the current channel.

IF your current neighbour has a wireless router and is using channel 6 and your router is using channel 6, there will be interference. changing yours to channel 8 would help. (thats just an example). corless phones can also wreak havok and a channel change will almost always sort that too.l