Breathe Me (Haydos Remix) - Sia

haydos

yeah true, i wasnt guna bother with a subbass, cause i made this song on a set of crappy headphones, because my roomates are sick of throbbing basslines during exam times. But after listening to it in my car, i can see the drop lacks alot of grunt. Cheers everyone for ur feedback, i'll b spending some more time on it once exams are done.

Firstly, dubSTEP! Dub is a form of electronic reggae, which this is most definately not. That mispronounciation is one of the most annoying things in the world to me.

Secondly, if you dont bother with sub bass, your definately doing it wrong. Dubstep lives below 60 Hz, thats why its known as bass music ;)

Definately not my cup o tea, so Ill leave it at that, unless you want me to tear it apart? Constructively of course :D

dubstep is a derivitive of dub being what people started calling the dub mixes of 2-step or Garage songs. dubstep in itself was not a music that was produced, just like dub or bmore, rather a remix style that eventually producers started creating music that mimmicked what the remixers were doing.

dub mixes (taking out the vocals and only using cuts, and then accentuating the bass and kick drum) was an essential mix on any 12 inch in the 80s. you had radio edit, club mix, dub mix, acapella, and if you were special you also had a 10 minute shep pettibone mix (anyone my age who remotely listended to funk or pop knows shep pettibone).

but yes as per chev its hard to imagine dubstep without sub bass (which i only found out what the hell people were talking about when seeing chevs commetns of peoples tracks he he)

havent checked it yet haydos. this w/e hopefully. though as you know i aint much of a dubstep dude

dubstep is a derivitive of dub being what people started calling the dub mixes of 2-step or Garage songs. dubstep in itself was not a music that was produced, just like dub or bmore, rather a remix style that eventually producers started creating music that mimmicked what the remixers were doing.

dub mixes (taking out the vocals and only using cuts, and then accentuating the bass and kick drum) was an essential mix on any 12 inch in the 80s. you had radio edit, club mix, dub mix, acapella, and if you were special you also had a 10 minute shep pettibone mix (anyone my age who remotely listended to funk or pop knows shep pettibone).

Not sure what you're getting at :?

No matter what way you look at it Dubstep is a genre and Dub is a genre, just because you can shorten something doesn't mean you should, you dont here people calling house music, hou.

Google classical, and then google classics, your gonna get two completely different results, same thing goes with dubstep and dub.

For bad reference ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep

yeah but "hou" isnt a genre, nor is it a derivative of house.

i am saying dubstep was a form of "dub". it was the dub mixing of 2step or garage songs. as opposed to the dub of funk or dub of pop or the dub of rnb songs.

okay fair enuff it is now its own genre because producers started producing music that sounded like early dubstep remixers.

so yes you can argue that you are making a dub mix or a dubstep mix (i.e not all dub is dubstep), except of course unless you are doing a dub mix of a 2step or garage track, cuz then you will be making dubstep at its purest.

from wiki itself

The earliest dubstep releases, which date back to 1998, were darker, more experimental, instrumental dub remixes of 2-step garage tracks attempting to incorporate the funky elements of breakbeat, or the dark elements of drum and bass into 2-step, which featured as B-sides of single releases.

either way genres suck, and they are only buzzwords created by the media, so that trends and fads can be started, milked dry and then hated on.

how many times has hip hop died in the media, for people in the know, hip hop never skipped the beat. i watched style wars again over the weekend, back in 82 they thought it would never last...

Yeah but to me a 'dub mix' is not a genre in itself, its a form of an edit, like when someone tries to pass off (so and so's totally fuxd up dutch house edit) as an original peice of work when all they've done is chop it up.

Dub as a genre is guys like King Tubby and stuff, which Im sure preceded any garage 'dub mix', seeing as it started in the 60s.

thats what i said. dub came first?

even in the 60's it involved taking the instrumental of a track and fuggin w/ it. which began with reggae music.

then someone took that and did it to pop music, then to funk music, and eventually to 2step.

and the reggae roots of dub was used a lot of times in dub mixes.

lol genre debates. so anyway, i wasnt clear before, obviously no dubstep song would really be dubstep without subbass.

What i meant was that i normally dont use a seperate synth for subbass, i instead just use a low sine wave for the 3rd osc in massive and send it to its own filter. Which i find does the trick since my style of dub is focused in the mid ranges.

This time however i forgot that i put a formant filt over the subbass osc to give the main bassline that high end. Which essentially muted the low end. But making the song through headphones i didnt notice there was no low end till i heard it in my car.

Peace guys.