Serial ATA

Buck_Choi

Hey computer nerrdsss :D

i recently built a computer for my brother.. specs here.

router TP-Link WR1043ND

CPU i5-760

Burner SATA Blu-Ray Combo Samsung (Read/Write?)

MB ASUS P7P55D-E PRO

GPU 1GB GTS450 EVGA

ram 4G Kit ddr3 G.Skill-Ripjaws 1600

SSD Kingston SNV425-S2 SSD 2.5”64G

HDD WD SATA 1TB

Power supply Raidmax w/500w Thunder

monitor 23” LG E2340V-PN 195

External Samsung 3.5” USB3.0 2TB

KB/Mouse

roughly that..

the Mother board is compatible with 6.0 Gbit/s but both of them are running at 3.0 Gbit/s how do i configure it. where do i configure it to run @ 6.0.

the Sata cords used are both 6.0 gbit/s capable but during Boot up it says its running at 3.

and i want to get the max performance from both.. esp the SSD.

Thhanks!@#

hi egg,

The great benefit is actually the speed. Its actually been said that the very best value upgrade you can do to a PC (even an old one) is move them to solid state drives. better than more ram etc..

The down side is that they have had all sorts of issues... slowing down over time... sectors failing after a certain ammount of read/writes etc...

Some issues have been fixed, some have not. Its not something you would expect to have for 10 years, but its a big big speed boost for now.

Actually heres something you'll find interesting Buck...

There are new solid state drives that I've been quoteing lately which plug into a PCI-Express slot on your motherboard.

They have had to do this because they are now faster than the entire SATA interface and need to be plugged directly to the motherboard to bypass the bottleneck :) Amazing speeds. I want one hehe

Solid State advantages = you can knock your pc about more than a platter drive.

The speed differences i would find almost negligible except for seek time Raptor. Would still be bottlenecked by interface.

If you want super speeds get a RAM drive, throw 4x4GB RAM chips on there and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...